Statue of Reagan Is Unveiled in London

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
05reagan.html
NY Times:

LONDON — Passers-by at the American Embassy, in the heart of London’s upscale Mayfair district, were greeted Monday morning by the disembodied voice of Ronald Reagan drifting through the air from large speakers — a prelude to the unveiling of a $1 million bronze statue of the former president here to commemorate the 100th anniversary of his birth.

In defiance of the usual Fourth of July sentiments, American and British flags were intertwined and placed into perfectly trimmed hedges in leafy Grosvenor Square. Hundreds of guests demonstrated the much-vaunted special relationship by lining up patiently, in the accepted British style, for American cuisine in the form of Fresh ’n’ Tasty Jumbo Hot Dogs and Dippin’ Donuts.

As the brass band of the United States Army Europe struck up “America the Beautiful,” an assembly of grandees — most of them conservatives like Reagan’s former speechwriter, Peggy Noonan, and former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice — as well as a Congressional delegation led by the House majority whip, Kevin McCarthy, a California Republican, mingled with leaders of Britain’s governing Conservative Party.

Among those representing the British government were the chancellor of the exchequer, George Osborne; the minister of defense, Liam Fox; and the foreign secretary, William Hague.

The statue of a smiling Reagan, dressed in a crisp suit, was paid for by the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation as part of a worldwide effort to promote his legacy, according to the organization’s executive director. Similar events have been held in the last few days in Poland, the Czech Republic and Hungary.

Inscribed on the statue is a quote from his friend Margaret Thatcher, the former British prime minister. “Ronald Reagan ended the Cold War,” it reads, “without firing a single shot.” (Some British commentators suggested that ignores the contributions of Eastern European dissidents.)

Though Mrs. Thatcher is in poor health and did not attend, she provided a statement that was read by Mr. Hague. “Through his strength and conviction,” she wrote, “he brought millions of people to freedom as the Iron Curtain finally came down.”
________

Thank you to our British friends for this honor.

The riddle of the missing US ambassador as London toasts Ronald Reagan centenary

Joe Murphy

7/5/11

It was one of the most glittering events of the year, attracting some of the greatest names in American and British politics.

But as the British roasted lamb and the sunny Californian chardonnay were cleared away, one notable absence was the hottest topic among guests at the Guildhall dinner in honour of Ronald Reagan's centenary.

Where was the American ambassador to London, Louis B Susman?

He had, it soon transpired, been invited. But despite a guest list that boasted four British Cabinet ministers, ex-Prime Minister, nine US congressmen and a senator and former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, there was no sign of President Obama's representative in London.......(Snip)

Oh, good grief, that makes me so mad. It is part of his JOB to be there! Another shining example of the Obama administration. :angry:

righteousmomma

The riddle of the missing US ambassador as London toasts Ronald Reagan centenary

Joe Murphy

7/5/11

It was one of the most glittering events of the year, attracting some of the greatest names in American and British politics.

But as the British roasted lamb and the sunny Californian chardonnay were cleared away, one notable absence was the hottest topic among guests at the Guildhall dinner in honour of Ronald Reagan's centenary.

Where was the American ambassador to London, Louis B Susman?

He had, it soon transpired, been invited. But despite a guest list that boasted four British Cabinet ministers, ex-Prime Minister, nine US congressmen and a senator and former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, there was no sign of President Obama's representative in London.......(Snip)

Drudge has the Evening Standard blog concerning the same. You have to read the comments after the blog. Everyone is as incensed as nickydog -- and me.

05 July 2011 3:08 PM

The Missing US Ambassador at the feast for Ronald Reagan

Last night's Guildhall dinner in honour of Ronald Reagan's centenary was a truly glittering and warm occasion.

The British roasted lamb and the sunny Californian chardonnay evoked the close Anglo-US relationship of Reagan and Thatcher as much as the fine speeches by Condi Rice and William Hague.

But guests were left asking, where on earth was the American ambassador to London, Louis B Susman?

"Our ambassador should be here," said Lynn de Rothschild, the American entrepreneur who is married to Sir Evelyn de Rothschild and was one of Hillary Clinton's key fundraisers in 2008 as well as a supporter of several Republican presidential candidates. "This was an historic dinner to mark Reagan's centenary and to celebrate him as the man who ended the Cold War. What could not be more important?

"Why is our ambassador not here on Independence Day? No excuse. How is it that America is not represented in this room by our ambassador? It is appalling that no representative of our government is in this room. This has the feel of petty partisanship."

Ambassador Susman is, of course, a long-standing Democrat fundraiser, nicknamed the vaccuum cleaner for his skill at sucking donations out of the wealthy. And his efforts to fill Obama's campaign pockets was said by many to be his main qualification to come to London.

According to the US embassy spokesman: "Ambassador Susman was pleased to be invited to the dinner but was unable to attend."

But he missed some cracking speeches and anecdotes. For more details see the Standard story here.

And where was he? The embassy won't say.

Some comments:

I can't say this isn't expected, as this administration seems irreverent about anything other than itself. Enjoy your time whilst you have it, Ambassador Susman: you'll be out of a gig in two years' time.

Posted by: Sharon Langworthy | 07/05/2011 at 03:28 PM

awillaert

It "seems" like petty partisanship because it actually IS. Obama and his hacks constitute the most partisan executive administration in the history of the United States.

Posted by: awillaert | 07/05/2011 at 03:28 PM

Chukkal

And he couldn't send someone else in his place? Appalling!

Posted by: Chukkal | 07/05/2011 at 03:28 PM

astralweeks

Not surprised. This administration behaves like spoiled teenagers. If it's not about them, forget it.

Posted by: astralweeks | 07/05/2011 at 03:30 PM

MDWhite

No class...just like his boss.

Posted by: MDWhite | 07/05/2011 at 03:33 PM

Joe Main

Typical of thisAdmin. No class for its all about ME! Obama! Michy! 2012 wil be a landslide.

Posted by: Joe Main | 07/05/2011 at 03:34 PM

Tom in NY

I sincerely hope the ambassador's office and bedroom windows squarely face the statue of President Reagan and that the image of the president's smiling face is front and center every time he looks out the window. Not attending shows absolutely no class, but that's to be expected from the current president and the money people he has inserted into government jobs.

Posted by: Tom in NY | 07/05/2011 at 03:35 PM

Fl Girl

At least he will not be accused of being two faced. Enjoy your position while it lasts Sir. It will end soon and would today were most Americans making that call.

Posted by: Fl Girl | 07/05/2011 at 03:37 PM

Scooter Van Neuter

This is yet another shameful example of this wretched administration's arrogant attitude toward anything not glorifying Comrade Obama or his party.

Coming from the same twit whose first act after moving into the White House was to return the bust of Winston Churchill to Britain, I guess one shouldn't be surprised.

Posted by: Scooter Van Neuter | 07/05/2011 at 03:38 PM

Joe Doakes

The Ipod Incident . . .

August 25, 2010

Dear President Obama:

It seems like a lifetime ago, considering the economy is being shoved off a cliff by your backward, not a snowballs-chance-in-hell-of-working economic policy; while you simultaneously grab the parachutes off of Americas collective back. The grinding free-fall is becoming a reality for most in a world of depleted savings, and little reward for work other then survival. Soon after your assuming the throne you called on the Queen of England, then you presented her majesty with an ipod full of your speeches. Being a little bit of an audiophile, I’ve still got a reel to reel player and a record player, in my vast collection I have speeches from the most pivotal moments in recorded history, Churchill, FDR, the bombing of Pearl Harbor and much more. Of course I have an ipod too, and on it I have a bunch of speeches on that like the ones that Reagan delivered after his 49 state landslide, and the one he gave so presciently, and with great vigor in 1964. There is a vast chasm between you, and President Reagan. To understand this all one needs to hear is the response of the crowd to his nomination acceptance speech in Detroit, Michigan, to absorb the wisdom, humility, and love of country that Mr. Reagan held.

You see, Mr. Obama, men like President Reagan believed in what they were saying with their heart, soul, and mind. Men like Mr. Reagan understood that the American people had been suckered in the past, and they deserved the service of an American that would serve genuinely without pretense, or false witness. Mr. Obama, do you know what it means when a person has to speak in low tones, or can’t say one speech to every audience whether it is New York City, or Houston, Texas or, Minot Air force Base. It means they are practicing the art of obfuscation, because in their heart, in your heart Mr. Obama, you know that if you told the whole truth, and nothing but the truth your entire world would come crashing down. President Reagan earned the respect of the American people by holding himself, and frankly us, to a standard, and a hope, that we would once again see America as a shining beacon of liberty to all who seek her shores.

Mr. Obama I hope that one day you grow enough to earn our respect. I do not believe that there is a soul on this Earth who can’t decide that tomorrow is the day they do the right thing, including you. Yet, the evidence for this opportunity is diminishing by the week with every opportunity you have had to promote, and celebrate what makes America so special you blew, and as I think, Sinatra once said, not in a small way. If President Reagan were alive today he would be ashamed of what you have done thus far, he would be doing everything in his power to rally Americans to defeat you, and your ilk at the ballot box.

Since he is not here, it will be my honor, our honor, to try to do it for him.

Respectfully,

Joe Doakes

Posted by: Joe Doakes | 07/05/2011 at 03:38 PM

Bill T.

This is disgusting.He's a pig, as are his 454 White House aides. I pray that we can survive this horrible traitor. A traitor he is! May the UK also survive its challanges.

Bill T. Cal.(land of fruits and nuts)

Posted by: Bill T. | 07/05/2011 at 03:40 PM

Bill T.

This is disgusting.He's a pig, as are his 454 White House aides. I pray that we can survive this horrible traitor. A traitor he is! May the UK also survive its challanges.

Bill T. Cal.(land of fruits and nuts)

Posted by: Bill T. | 07/05/2011 at 03:40 PM

b.mclane

Is it not a shame that at every turn Obama and his band of thugs seek to embarrass the USA overseas at every opportunity. They never cease to amaze me at how low they will go. There is NO excuse for not going.

Posted by: b.mclane | 07/05/2011 at 03:40 PM

nm

This is as petty and vindictive as any President or his ambassador can stoop to. This even was not a surprise. We all know that Readan was never liked by the left. Now it can be revealed that in addition to bring down the Berlin Wall, he was an intelelctual who wrote his own speeches and had a gift for communicating in a firm, yet folksy manner. To diss him is to diss America. Obama has some explaining to do.

Posted by: nm | 07/05/2011 at 03:40 PM

Sam

An administration of professorial infants which lack not only experience in the REAL world, but class in general.

Posted by: Sam | 07/05/2011 at 03:42 PM

Mitch

One of the first actions of our new Republican president in 2013, will be to ask for the bust of Churchill to be returned to the Oval Office, where it belongs.

Posted by: Mitch | 07/05/2011 at 03:42 PM

Dave

The Obummer when he thinks it's useful tries to become Reaganesque. Only problem is no one is buying it! He couldn't get up high enough to lick the crap off of 1 of Reagan's boots!

Posted by: Dave | 07/05/2011 at 03:43 PM

CVjuan

I am an American citizen and on behalf of my other citizens I humbly apologize for the insults continuously thrown to Great Britan by the current administration. The partisan hacks that occupy the White House are an embarrasment to the entire free world. Please know that in the heart of America, our friendship with you, "The Brits" is solid and enduring. Hang in there and please excuse our current oaf... 2012, please come quickly!!!

Posted by: CVjuan | 07/05/2011 at 03:44 PM

Eric - Santa Barbara

Obama and his hacks couldn't hold a candle to the strength, character, and moral certitude of President Reagan. Look at the way Obama has treated our strongest allies. Returned the bust of Winston Churchill, gave an iPod of OBAMA'S speeches to the queen? What a narcissist. Thank God Obama wasn't president during the cold war, or his appeasement mentality could have resulted in a different outcome. I'm embarrasses for out country.

Posted by: Eric - Santa Barbara | 07/05/2011 at 03:44 PM

margielyle

The Obama administration is incompetent, dishonest and unmannered.

Posted by: margielyle | 07/05/2011 at 03:44 PM