Reading Ayman al-Zawahiri’s Mind

Geee

reading-ayman-al-zawahiri-s-mind-clifford-d-may
National Review:

Now the duty is entrusted to me. Now I am the amir of al-Qaeda’t al-Jihad, better known — indeed, known everywhere on earth — as al-Qaeda. This comes at the right time. This month, I complete my 60th year — still young enough to think clearly and strategically, but old enough to fully comprehend that I will not live forever and that it is truly blessed to die a martyr’s death as did my friend and leader, Sheikh Osama bin Laden, may he rest in peace.

I have waged jihad against the nonbelievers for a very long time. I joined the Muslim Brotherhood when I was just 14. A child of wealth and privilege, I could have led an easy life. My skills as a surgeon could have been put to use healing the elite of Cairo. I chose, instead, to be a knight under the Prophet’s banner. I have never regretted that decision, al-Hamdu Lillah.

In 1981, when I was half the age I am now, I brought justice to Anwar al-Sadat. He had betrayed the nation of Islam by making peace with the accursed Jews. Death to any swine who considers following his example!
Exactly 20 years after that, surrounded by the good people of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, Sheikh bin Laden and I brought justice to thousands of Crusaders and Zionists, arrogant Americans who thought they were safe in their steel towers — safe to plot and steal from the Muslims. Those in the Pentagon — that vipers’ den! — thought they were safe, too. But they learned: All the guards and guns and metal detectors in the world cannot protect them from our mujahideen!

The Americans are accustomed to soft beds and decadent pleasures. But their economy is crumbling — as is their will to fight. With the passing of bin Laden they will be eager to declare their mission in Afghanistan accomplished and fly away.snip