Head of ATF Is Likely to Go

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
SB10001424052702304453304576392023631543738.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
Wall Street Journal:

The Justice Department is expected to oust the head of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, according to people familiar with the matter, amid a troubled federal antitrafficking operation that has grown into the agency's biggest scandal in nearly two decades.

Moves toward the replacement of Kenneth Melson, acting ATF director since April 2009, could begin next week, although the precise sequence of events remains to be decided, these people said.

The shakeup shows the extent of the political damage caused by the gun-trafficking operation called Fast and Furious, which used tactics that allowed suspected smugglers to buy large numbers of firearms. Growing controversy over the program has paralyzed a long-beleaguered agency buffeted by partisan battles. The ATF has been without a Senate-confirmed director since 2006, with both the Bush and Obama administrations unable to overcome opposition from gun-rights groups to win approval of nominees.

In November, President Barack Obama nominated Andrew Traver, the head of the ATF's Chicago office, as permanent ATF director. The nomination stalled in the Senate after the National Rifle Association said Mr. Traver had a "demonstrated hostility" to the rights of gun owners.

Mr. Traver is set to travel to Washington on Tuesday to meet with Attorney General Eric Holder and Deputy Attorney General James Cole, the people said. The administration is weighing whether to name Mr. Traver as acting director or choose another interim chief while awaiting Senate action on his nomination, they said.
________

Will Holder be next?

So can Obama be impeached over this????

Short answer....no....not gonna happen.

I would also add use of the I word is not advisable.

So can Obama be impeached over this????

Short answer....no....not gonna happen.

I would also add use of the I word is not advisable.

The ‘Gunwalker Scandal’: How Far Up Does It Go? Part 2

6/19/11

PART 2:

Jay Carney, White House spokesman, was asked in a press briefing if President Obama knew about the Fast and Furious operation. Carney responded by saying, “He did not know about or authorize this operation.” I have a feeling that that will be the standard answer going forward.

Let’s assume that the “Gunwalker scandal” is just simply the bi-product of a bad idea born in the bowels of the beltway as I previously stated and not born from something more nefarious like pushing the perception that guns are flowing into Mexico arming the cartels. Fast and Furious is a bureaucratic answer to a very dangerous problem.

Who knew what and when? Right now, there’s a contradiction in stories about who authorized or orchestrated the program. ATF agents testified this past week saying that an Obama appointed assistant U.S. Attorney orchestrated Fast and Furious. If this is true, then how could the DOJ not know about the program? How could Eric Holder not be aware of it’s existence?

If Holder knew, then it stands to reason that Obama knew......(Snip)

Does it stand to reason?

A couple of quick thoughts

A. As we learned from Watergate, it's not the crime, it's the coverup that gets you in trouble.

B. This whole operation needs to be filed under WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!

C. As it stands now, and knowing how large Washington bureaucracies work there really is no reason to believe Holder much less Obama knew about this.

D. Beware of ODS Obama Derangement Syndrome.

F. Someone should really impress on the Obama administration to get all the facts out on this, as IMO it's not going away anytime soon.