TV Turnoff

Geee

tv-turnoff
American Spectator:

Now that summer is nearly here, there are some Americans who will be heading off for weeks away in exotic locations or to endless rounds of golf, unburdened by the cares of life. But for those of us unlucky enough not to the President of the United States, we'll just have to make do with a few stolen hours at the beach with a good book or two.

One that looks promising is Ben Shapiro's Primetime Propaganda: The True Hollywood Story of How the Left Took Over Your TV. While I haven't read it, I applaud Mr. Shapiro's attempt to chronicle instances of liberal bias on TV. Yet, a far more difficult assignment would be to point out the shows in the last four decades where that was not the case.

The mindset that produced the left-leaning tsunami from the late 1960s onward, actually had its beginnings in the Depression era with Hollywood's promotion of class envy; the idea that "society" was to blame for most crime. You know, all those flicks like I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang, Angels With Dirty Faces, Manhattan Melodrama, and the classic Dead End, which suggested, sometimes plausibly, that poverty alone was the major determinant for a life of crime.

However, unlike their modern counterparts, old-time studio bigwigs usually balanced the plight of the underprivileged youth-turned-murderer with that of his chum who went on to the priesthood or became a district attorney. In other words, the idea was still maintained that one could rise above the circumstance of one's birth and make good; in short, the American dream lived in Hollywood.snip

I rarely watch broadcast TV shows anymore not only because the supermajority of them have blatant liberal messages, but because they are(with a very few exceptions) simply unwatchable.