Meghan Daum: Obama's fast brain vs. slow mouth

Pepper

la-oe-daum-obamaspeak-20110526,0,462327.column
Los Angeles Times Op-Ed:

Meghan Daum: Obama's fast brain vs. slow mouth
It's not that the president can't speak clearly; he employs the intellectual stammer.

snip
It's not that Obama can't speak clearly. It's that he employs the intellectual stammer. Not to be confused with a stutter, which the president decidedly does not have, the intellectual stammer signals a brain that is moving so fast that the mouth can't keep up.
snip

In fact, if the people critiquing Obama's meandering speech patterns were to see an old "Firing Line" segment, I daresay they would think Buckley was drunk or otherwise impaired.

snip

By speaking as though he hails from everywhere, he ends up being from nowhere. The result is that people look at him and see not a Hawaiian or a Chicagoan or even a black man, but a university man.
snip

SrWoodchuck

One of the comments from the article, sums up what it's really about:

DougWiser at 10:21 AM May 27, 2011

The curtain has been pulled aside and the Great and Powerful OZbama has been exposed as a bumbling fraud.

pollyannaish

Well then. I guess we now know why President Bush stammered. He was too smart for everyone else in the room. He was so creative he made up brilliant new words with shades of meaning no one had ever attempted before. He was a lingual genius!

(Are these people missing the embarrassment gene? I mean, why not admit you over worshipped Obama, and over demonized Bush...and that these guys are just regular people who have good days and bad days and make your minds up based on the actual POLICY they pursue? Even in this newfangled age, actions speak louder than words.)

shoutPolly!

I have a nervous speaking stammer when tension is in the air, but I never failed an infantry assignment, or how to handle getting robbed working the graveyard shift in a convenience store.

BTW: memo to future burglars, I don't stammer when I fire live rounds from pistols, rifles, or shotguns. B)

pollyannaish

shoutPolly!

I have a nervous speaking stammer when tension is in the air, but I never failed an infantry assignment, or how to handle getting robbed working the graveyard shift in a convenience store.

BTW: memo to future burglars, I don't stammer when I fire live rounds from pistols, rifles, or shotguns. B)

There you go. I have never understood why liberals were so hard on President Bush on this. The man was always VERY clear about what he meant, and meant what he said. Even if at times it was mangled. Not only do I do that when I speak sometimes (especially, like you, when I feel tension) I often even do it when I type.

What gets me, is that now that the shoe is on the other foot...they mark it as a sign of genius with not even a clue at how inconsistent and ironic that is.

Remind me, by the way, to duck next time you're getting robbed. ;)

shoutPolly!

I took speech for two years in high school, and never stammered because I preferred to walk back and forth across the stage. It was my second teacher who forced me to stand behind the podium when I would feel the tension rise...

BTW: I found that my best teachers in college spoke like I did, while the most boring were chained to that podium... B)