Candidate News Thread - Jon Huntsman Jr.

Geee

Harry Reid says he'd favor Huntsman over Romney

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid said today if he had to choose between Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman in the presidential race, he'd go with what he considers the lesser of two evils: Huntsman.

Asked today to weigh in on the two Mormons in the Republican presidential primary (Reid is also Mormon), the Senate leader said, "If I had a choice I would favor Huntsman over Romney," CBS News Capitol Hill Producer John Nolen reports.

CBS News

Michelle Malkin: Jon Huntsman Is McCain on Wheels

Jon Huntsman wants you to know he rides a dirt bike. On real dirt! He's Salt of the Earth. Grease of the Garage. Dragster on the Dunes.

Huntsman's runnin' and gunnin' for president. But underneath the Steve McQueen costumery, this made-for-cable-TV Moderate Speed Racer is a creaky old John McCain on Wheels.

The former Utah Republican governor and Obama ambassador to China is the answer to an election-year problem that doesn't exist. The quadrennial "problem," in the minds of Beltway GOP strategists and liberal media chin-pullers, is that the Republican Party isn't moderate, civil, self-critical or inclusive enough.

Huntsman is the latest no-labels flavor of the month, a straw man of the same people who have spent the past year smearing entitlement reformers as senior citizen-killers, budget hawks as Hitler's spawn, border-security activists as racists, and leading GOP women as sluts, nuts and bimbos.snip

http://cnsnews.com/commentary/article/michelle-malkin-jon-huntsman-mccain-whee

righteousmomma

Rush Limbaugh- Tuesday, June 21:

RUSH: Right. Symbolism here, ladies and gentlemen. Announcing in the same place as Ronaldus Magnus does not make one Ronaldus Magnus. You know, there's somebody else announced there. You guys ought to know this. (There are Californians, of course, watching the program on the other side of the glass.) Do you know who else announced their presidential intentions at the Statue of Liberty? Three... two...one... Any guesses? Want to make a guess? Pete Wilson. Yes, the former Governor, the former Senator Pete Wilson did so -- and he was also attempting to claim the Ronaldus Magnus mantle, the symbolism. Here is Huntsman. Let's listen to Huntsman -- and, folks, this is not... Well, I don't want to say it's not gonna be pretty. It's gonna be interesting, 'cause we're gonna play Huntsman, you are a going to hear Huntsman describe how we have to go after Obama, what we can't do and what we must do, and we're gonna do all this as Reagan would have done it.

Don't forget that. Here's the first of our many sound bites:

HUNTSMAN: Let me say something about civility.

RUSH: Oh, yes.

HUNTSMAN: For the sake of the younger generation --

RUSH: Ah, yes.

HUNTSMAN: -- it concerns me that civility, humanity, and respect are sometimes lost in our interactions as Americans. Our political debates today are corrosive and not reflective of the belief that Abe Lincoln espoused. I don't think you need to run down someone's reputation in order to run for the office of president. I respect the President of the United States. He and I have a difference of opinion on how to help a country we both love, but the question each of us wants the voters to answer is "Who will be the better president?" not who's the better American.

RUSH: You see where this is. This is reminiscent of McCain getting rid of anybody in his campaign who dared use Obama's own middle name. Even that was considered to be provocative. So you don't need to run down anybody's reputation. "I respect the president of the United States." This is Consultants 101 -- and I'm sure Huntsman believes this himself. As a moderate, this is what they all believe. By the way... I don't know this for sure, I should say. My best guess is that he does not want to be considered a conservative, because being considered a conservative is all those cliches.

I'm sure the consultants have said to him, "Stick to policies. Don't be critical of Mr. Obama. Don't! Don't attack Obama. He's a great American, blah, blah, blah. The American people will not put up with it." You take a look at polling data, folks. There are people angry as they can be at this president. There are people who think his reputation deserves to be questioned, his policies, everything. I don't know how you separate the man from his policies. When you go vote, it's not the policies on the ballot. It's the candidate's name. This is so much hogwash. This is how we penalize ourselves, but this is what political consultants bring to the table. Here's more. This is Huntsman again telling us how he's gonna operate his campaign and various other things associated with it.

HUNTSMAN: Behind me is our most famous symbol of the promise of America. President Reagan launched the 1980 general election campaign from this very spot. --

RUSH: Yes.

HUNTSMAN: It was a time of trouble, worry --

RUSH: Yes.

HUNTSMAN: -- and difficulty.

HUNTSMAN: And through his leadership, he did. Today I stand in his shadow, as well as the shadow of this magnificent monument to our liberty.

RUSH: Okay. So, "Behind me, our most famous symbol, the promise of America. Reagan launched his campaign from this very spot. Time of trouble, worry, difficulty," and so forth. Now, one of the things... You have to forgive me here but I'm a little resentful of people who are nothing like Reagan trying to be Reagan. Mr. Huntsman's not said it but the mind-set that he evokes has told us countless times through very many different people and voices that the era of Reagan is over. But when it's time to go out and get votes, isn't it amazing? Even Obama tries to channel Reagan! They all do. Reagan was an unapologetic conservative, and there was none of this talk about civility and all of this, and now the image that we've got here so far in Mr. Huntsman's announcement is, "We're going to be civil. We respect the president. We are not gonna attack his reputation. We are going to be like Ronaldus Magnus. We don't want to tear down anybody's reputation."

Read what Reagan really said and believed on the "Reagan" thread I just posted.

Like Rush also said:

RUSH: So I checked the e-mail during the top-of-the-hour break, "What do you got against Huntsman?" I don't have anything against Huntsman. Folks, I guess I'm glad for the question. It gives me the opportunity to specify. I don't know Jon Huntsman, and everything I've seen about the guy, he's a prince, a prince of a person, a nice fellow. (interruption) I'd play golf with him, sure. My comments here have to do with campaign technique, tactics, and strategery, and I don't know if the way Huntsman's going about this is what he really thinks is the best way to do it or whether he's getting advice. Either way I disagree with it. I know these guys are getting this kind of advice, "Go milquetoast. Don't be anything that's partisan. You don't want to be confrontational, independents don't like it."

I get so fed up with being on defense, particularly where independent voters are concerned. Independents are perfectly fine with the country being destroyed. What would really tick off the independents is if you get mad at the people doing it. I'm sorry, it doesn't compute. And if I were you independents I'd be a little bit upset that you're being portrayed this way, that you're perfectly fine with everything going to hell in a handbasket but when somebody gets very pointed in saying so, that's when you get mad. What is that?

Huntsman’s family gave nearly $25,000 to Reid last cycle... from the LV Sun

LVSUN

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who said this week he prefers Jon Huntsman to Mitt Romney in the GOP Mormon presidential primary, has taken a lot of money from the Huntsman family, and the former Utah governor appointed Reid’s son, Josh, to Utah’s Board of Regents.

So no wonder Reid said Tuesday, “If I had a choice in that race, I’d choose Huntsman over Romney.”

And if they had a choice – and they did – many members of the newly minted presidential candidate’s family, including his parents, chose Reid in the most important U.S. Senate race in the country last cycle. Indeed, the Huntsmans have long been Reid supporters, although the former governor, who is scheduled to be be in Nevada on Friday, has never given directly to Reid's Senate campaigns.

But his parents and a couple of his brothers (Peter, James) and some in-laws have. And his Dad even helped the Nevada Democratic Party ($5,000) in 2008. I’m told Reid has known the senior Huntsman since the 1990s and is friendly with the son, too.

Huntsman tries McCain model, but he's no John McCain

Why are so many conservatives wary of Jon Huntsman? Certainly the former Utah governor's positions on issues like cap and trade and civil unions trouble conservatives of both the economic and social variety. But there are other candidates, like front-runner Mitt Romney, whose positions also cause conservatives grumbling. So why does Huntsman stand out?

One answer is the company he keeps. Despite his solidly conservative views on many issues, Huntsman has gathered a group of advisers and supporters from the moderate-to-liberal side of the GOP spectrum and has received largely favorable treatment in the political press. Many conservatives look at that and say: There must be something wrong.

Huntsman's top campaign aide is John Weaver, who was John McCain's top campaign aide in 2000 and in the early stages of the 2008 campaign -- campaigns that often raised the ire of the GOP base. (Weaver has also worked for some Democrats.) Other McCain veterans have signed on with Huntsman, as well. Still others, like Mark McKinnon -- the aide who worked for McCain in the'08 primaries but left because he did not want to campaign against Barack Obama -- also favor Huntsman. (McKinnon is a co-founder of the "No Labels" movement, much derided by conservatives.)

When Huntsman took second place in the Republican Leadership Conference straw poll last week in New Orleans, Politico reported, he benefited from the vote-wrangling of former Louisiana Rep. Joseph Cao, who conservatives well remember as the only Republican to vote for Obamacare in the House. There's another mark against Huntsman. And that's before conservatives consider the fact that Huntsman spent the last two years working for the Obama administration.snip

http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/2011/06/huntsman-has-mccains-aides-hes-no-john-mccain

Buzzkill: The problem with Jon Huntsman Hype

From afar, it’s easy to get swept up by the hype: Jon Huntsman is accomplished, handsome, smart, and his civility message has appeal beyond the meat-eaters who dominate this early phase of the Republican presidential campaign.

This is the reason his small base, largely in the media — the select group of pundits like Mark Halperin and the “Morning Joe” stars, Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski — have been unabashed in their Huntsman swooning. We have our share of swooners here at POLITICO, too.

They see in the former Utah governor someone with the potential to remake Republican politics, and dislodge the Washington conventional wisdom that the main variable regarding President Barack Obama’s re-election is the state of the economy rather than the opposing candidate.

But there is a problem: Up close, Huntsman’s challenges as the supposedly “electable” candidate for the GOP nomination are unmistakable — and, by all measures of modern Republican politics, likely insurmountable.

For all his obvious gifts, and his potential appeal as a general election candidate, it seems to us Huntsman has two even more obvious problems. He’s got the wrong issues for a Republican nominating contest. And he’s got the wrong persona, especially for this angry moment in GOP politics.

Don’t get us wrong. We have nothing against political hype. Trying to understand Huntsman Fever — and not averse to catching a bout of it ourselves — the two of us this week traveled to South Carolina to watch him on the campaign trail and sit down with him for a wide-ranging interview.

The trip made clear the basic bet of his campaign: That by the power of his personality, and with a few lucky bounces early in the nomination battle, he can unilaterally repeal rules of GOP politics that have dominated for a generation. Our colleague Charles Mahtesian, laying out the case for Huntsman hype here, believes many of those rules might be obsolete in 2012. Our response: Fat chance, Charlie.snip

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/57753.html

Jon Huntsman: The Mainstream Media’s Unpalatable GOP Candidate

The Mainstream Media knows full well that President Obama and his Democrat Brand happens to be in deep trouble heading into the 2012 elections, so they must find a GOP Candidate that is so unpalatable that Conservatives will find the candidate difficult to swallow and either stay home or vote third party, thus ensuring a second term for Obama and holding on to the Senate. Enter Jon Huntsman.

The MSM is praying that it can once again dupe Conservatives as they did in 2008 with John McCain, who most honest Conservatives like me could not vote let alone stomach because he was no true Conservative, no matter how hard he tried to sell himself as one. Knowing that McCain was a one trick pony they have sought out Huntsman for 2012 and will try to portray him as a Reaganesque figure. Unlike Reagan, Huntsman has evolving views on important social issues such as civil unions, man-made global warming, cap and trade and abortion rights that can appeal to voters across the board in the 21 Century. We will be inundated with puff pieces and push polls on his business experience and ability to work with our largest foreign debt holder China on issues of jobs and trade since he was Obama’s pick as Ambassador to China up until recently, which alone earns he has the experience to bring us out of the Great Recession.

The MSM will also actively search for establishment inside the beltway RINO’s to praise Huntsman as a conscience building candidate, who is moderate enough to pick up disgruntled Democrats and Independent Voters, who have soured on the Obama Brand in the last 3 years. Paid Political Pundits will actively boast that he is the GOP’s one best chance of taking back the White house in 2012 since Obama has proven himself to be a centrist during Presidency as he has been willing to work with Republicans on key issues.

The mainstream media knows full well that so-called Progressive Brand is in major trouble nationwide and that most voters are at the point of ABO (Anyone But Obama) in 2012, so thus with the White House and U.S. Senate and several key Governorships are in play at this point, as well as the one-two future Supreme Court nominations, so the MSM must find a way to suppress or split the conservative voting bloc.snip

http://bigjournalism.com/kmartin/2011/06/28/jon-huntsman-the-mainstream-medias-unpalatable-gop-candidate/

Can We Please Stop Talking About Huntsman?

Never before in the history of the Western world has the vast gulf between the level of national media coverage received and the level of national media coverage deserved been wider for a political candidate than for Jon Huntsman Jr.

Bigfoot journalists, respected political analysts, news anchors, and everyone else under the sun have breathlessly anointed the former U.S. ambassador to China and twice-elected former governor of Utah as a first-tier candidate, the “strongest possible Republican nominee” to challenge President Obama, and, as Time’s Mark Halperin said, “as good a retail politician as George W. Bush or Bill Clinton.”

You cannot possibly overstate the level of overstatement.

Pardon me for interrupting the universal, collective golf clap from the chattering class, but does Mr. Huntsman have a path to the Republican nomination?

Of course not. In fact, no one has even bothered to ask if there is one.

Let me point out this simple yet inconvenient fact: In order to defeat President Obama, you must first win the Republican nomination. If you have no path to do that, you deserve the same level of coverage as Buddy Roemer.snip

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/270845/can-we-please-stop-talking-about-huntsman-matt-mackowiak

• 1 month later...
Republican presidential candidate Jon Huntsman is in South Florida on Wednesday to announce the endorsement of Jeb Bush Jr. But the former Utah governor’s campaign is struggling amid low poll numbers and a campaign staff shakeup.

Article

• 2 weeks later...
WestVirginiaRebel

Via the Daily Dish:

Huntsman's Great Opportunity Ctd

If you believe that Huntsman's real goal has always been 2016, his strategy makes perfect sense. He goes down to noble defeat in this round, the GOP nominates someone who is either bat sh*t insane (Bachmann, Perry) or an outrageous panderer (Romney) who leads the party to defeat. Who comes out of the debacle looking good? Huntsman. By 2016 the Tea Party fires have burned out and the GOP is ready for that sane guy they should have chosen last time around.

________

I don't often agree with Sullivan but in this case I think he has a point. And Huntsman won't have to worry about getting asked about evolution the next time around. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Governor Asterisk

TAMPA -- CNN's Wolf Blitzer should begin the Republican presidential debate tonight by asking Jon Huntsman a simple question: "Why are you here?"

The former Utah governor's campaign has no obvious political rationale and is barely a statistical blip in national polls. Since he officially announced his 2012 presidential bid in June, Huntsman has only once (in early August) polled as high as 4 percent. Five of the six most recent national surveys show Huntsman's support among Republican voters at a mere 1 percent -- less than the margin of error. Despite the effective non-existence of his support, however, Huntsman will be among the eight candidates on stage tonight (8 p.m. ET) for the debate at the Florida State Fairgrounds sponsored by the Tea Party Express.

Of course, Blitzer would never question the legitimacy of Huntsman's candidacy for the simple reason that CNN anchor is a leading member of Huntsman's most important constituency, the media.

In announcing Huntsman's inclusion two weeks ago, CNN said that debate participants "needed to achieve a minimum 2 percent threshold in an average of national primary polls," a threshold that Huntsman is now below. Even CNN's own most recent poll, taken in late August, shows Huntsman at 1 percent, the same level of support Huntsman registered in the most recent polls by Gallup, the Washington Post, and Fox News. And those anemic numbers were registered after Huntsman's first debate appearance Aug. 11 in the Iowa GOP debate. This is why I've started referring to Huntsman as "Governor Asterisk," denoting his status as an irrelevant footnote to the GOP 2012 campaign.

The inclusion of Huntsman in nationally televised debates is an irritant to other minor Republican presidential candidates, especially those excluded from the debates. For example, some polls have shown former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson leading Huntsman. But Johnson has been left out of the debates and complained last week to Politico columnist Ben Smith: "I'm going to guess that Huntsman has outspent me 15 to 1, maybe 20 to 1. How is it that even from an aberration standpoint that I can be ahead of him?… I think based on what I've done politically and what I've done in my life that I should have a seat at the table."snip

http://spectator.org/archives/2011/09/12/governor-asterisk

• 2 weeks later...

Well if he wasn't already toast=that will do it :blink:

Johnny and Michael

Sitting in a tree...

K-I-S-S-I-N-G

First comes love

Then comes marriage...

I'll leave the rest to your imagination. Too horrible to contemplate.

Well if he wasn't already toast=that will do it :blink:

Johnny and Michael

Sitting in a tree...

K-I-S-S-I-N-G

First comes love

Then comes marriage...

I'll leave the rest to your imagination. Too horrible to contemplate.

I'm getting very disturbing images about the honeymoon. :o

Huntsman may be bumped from GOP debate

Republican presidential candidate Jon Huntsman this week celebrated new poll numbers that show him in third place in New Hampshire just five months before ballots are cast in the first-in-the-nation primary.

But now the former governor of Utah and President Obama's former ambassador to China faces a quandary. Even as he is breaking out in New Hampshire, where he has invested his entire campaign, Huntsman lags so far behind in national polls that he may be excluded from an upcoming national debate, a critical platform he needs to sell himself to a national audience.

Huntsman has been campaigning heavily in New Hampshire since June and polls show his effort is paying off. He placed third in a Suffolk University poll with 10 percent of the vote, trailing only former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who enjoys a favorite-son status in neighboring New Hampshire, and Rep. Ron Paul. Huntsman leads Texas Gov. Rick Perry, the national front-runner, in the Granite State.

Team Huntsman hopes a victory in New Hampshire, or at least a top-three finish, will boost Huntsman's standing in other key primary states such as South Carolina and Florida, where he has spent less time.

"Our top priority is campaigning successfully in New Hampshire so we can leave that state with a head of steam," Huntsman's spokesman, Tim Miller, told The Washington Examiner.

Huntsman may be bumped from GOP debate

• 1 month later...

PJ Media: Everything You Thought You Knew About Jon Huntsman Is Wrong

A closer look at the former Utah governor might surprise some conservatives.

Nichole Austin

11/11/11

(Snip)

Despite scuttlebutt to the contrary, former Utah Governor Jon Huntsman is not a Democrat in disguise, but was in fact a relatively ambitious conservative governor. And if he is “moderate,” he is not appreciably more moderate than other leading candidates or party leaders. If one compares records honestly and looks at policy positions realistically, one will find that in many ways, Huntsman is more conservative than Mitt Romney — who will likely receive the Republican nomination. A surreal juxtaposition to be sure.

As governor of Utah, Huntsman ushered in a boldly transformed tax system. He flattened the tax code, doing away with many, though not all, deductions and credits, and changing six-brackets of progressive income tax rates into one low 5% rate. (Compare with Rick Perry’s proposed 20% flat income tax and Herman Cain’s emblematic 9%.) According to PoliFact.com, this new system reduced taxes approximately 30% for the wealthiest residents, and due to remaining tax deductions “the effective tax rate [was] about 3 percent for Utah taxpayers earning $70,000 a year in 2008 and 4 percent for a household with $100,000 in taxable income[.]” He also eliminated the Child Tax Credit and Earned Income Tax Credit, a credit Reagan supported and which many Republicans today label “socialist.”

(Snip)

And finally, a truly perplexing complaint against Huntsman is that he is a “left-wing media darling.” His favorable press in unusual precincts, such as Vogue and the New York Times (which recently speculated he has the best chance of beating Obama), is seen as evidence of his liberalness. Although this may be a “turn-off,” it is a vacuous one. Only Huntsman’s policies can be the true judge of his conservative bone fides; and the fact that liberal journalists and media staples are intrigued, and perhaps even like, Huntsman should be seen as an asset, not an albatross. To nominate a solid conservative whom liberals would actually consider voting for is something Republicans should value in a candidate. Equally stupid is discounting Huntsman because of his ambassadorial role in the Obama administration, as he has worked for every Republican presidential administration since the Reagan era.

That said, the Huntsman campaign is doing a terrible job at making its case. If he is to have a chance, he needs to aggressively counter the misconceptions about what his positions actually are relative to his competitors (not to mention, the beloved Chris Christie). No, he is not a staunch conservative, but we should not fool ourselves into thinking that any of the other candidates are any more so, or that such a hypothetical candidate is even electable. If not, there is a serious worry Republican voters will reject out of hand an admirable, consistent conservative because they falsely believe he’s “too liberal,” while resigning their votes to a man who would sell out every conservative principle he purports to espouse the moment his political fortunes are in jeopardy — which has only been Mitt Romney’s entire political career.

Nichole Austin is an associate editor at FrontPage Magazine.

• 3 weeks later...

NRO: Gingrich to Do Lincoln/Douglas Debate with Huntsman

Katrina Trinko

12/2/11

Newt Gingrich and Jon Huntsman will do a Lincoln/Douglas style debate in New Hampshire on December 12, reports the Associated Press.

(Snip)

According to RealClearPolitics, the Romney campaign turned down the Gingrich camp’s invitation to do a Lincoln/Douglas style debate.

AEI: The case for Jon Huntsman’s conservatism

James Pethokoukis

December 4, 2011

There’s a well-known story about a 1970s Tory party meeting where new leader Margaret Thatcher waved high a copy of Friedrich Hayek’s “The Constitution of Liberty” before slamming it down on a table and proclaiming, “This is what we believe!” Hopefully the stirring moment is included in the new biopic starring Meryl Streep.

(Snip)

The diplomat. Jon Huntsman clearly isn’t a candidate super comfortable with escalating the 2012 elections into a climactic clash of ideologies. He’s too cool, too diplomatic. Would rather move beyond Obama’s obvious policy failures and talk about where the nation needs to go. Focus on solutions. And Huntsman may well have never read Hayek … or Joseph Schumpeter or Thomas Sowell. If he has, sure doesn’t talk about them.

(Snip)

Tax cutter. Those lifetime lessons have made a big impact. Huntsman, like Thatcher, seems to be a conservative of intuition derived from personal experience. Huntsman a conservative? As governor, he massively cut income and sales taxes — instituting a 5 percent flat income tax — while expanding the state’s “rainy day” reserve fund. His approach to healthcare reform relied on markets rather than mandates. As the Club for Growth describes it, “Utah’s main health reform contained no individual mandate, no employer mandate, and has very limited regulatory authority. … It empowers individuals to take ownership of their own health insurance and to choose coverage that works for them.”

(Snip)

Heavy fire. But a good amount of the flack Huntsman has taken from the right seems more about form than function. Accepting Obama’s offer to go to Beijing. Giving a conciliatory rather than confrontational candidacy announcement speech. Mucking up the debates with too much snark and not enough talk of conservative tax and entitlement reform. Jon Huntsman (R-Davos), the darling of Manhattan magazine writers. The Republican uncomfortable with being a Republican. Yet the policies Huntsman advocates, if implemented, would usher in a conservative, free-market, small-government revolution that no Tea Party member could help but applaud. No Thatcherite or Reaganite, either.

(Snip)

IE...Jon Huntsman....he doesn't suck as bad as you think!

/damning with faint praise

• 4 weeks later...

TATLER: Why isn’t he doing better? He had a great record as the governor of Utah. But outside New Hampshire you don’t hear that much about him. Why?

FIRST HUNTSMAN SUPPORTER: I feel like people are skeptical about what he’ll do domestically. That he has so much foreign experience that he won’t do as well, domestically.

SECOND HUNTSMAN SUPPORTER: It actually beats me. He’s a very reasonable candidate.

THIRD HUNTSMAN SUPPORTER: He can’t…appeal to the evangelicals and that’s like a significant voter bloc. Because he’s not like a Bible-thumping Christian, you know.

SECOND HUNTSMAN SUPPORTER: I get some Democrats who ask me, you know, why isn’t Huntsman a Democrat?

THIRD HUNTSMAN SUPPORTER: Yeah, like he practically is, almost.

OOPS! :D