Maverick Malice

Geee

maverick-malice-andrew-c-mccarthy
National Review:

Senator McCain gives a dishonest account of interrogations.

Shortly after Osama bin Laden met his demise at the hands of U.S. special forces, Michael Mukasey opined in the pages of the Wall Street Journal that harsh interrogation tactics had been key to identifying a courier, which, in turn, led to locating bin Laden’s compound. Such an assessment, from a highly respected former attorney general, was bound to be influential. Indeed, the CIA’s enhanced-interrogation program, used on a select few high-level al-Qaeda detainees following the 9/11 attacks, had figured prominently in Mukasey’s confirmation hearings. He had, at the behest of Congress, thoroughly reviewed the program upon taking the reins at DOJ. Americans would rightly assume that his opinion was not based on speculation; it was the informed judgment of a renowned former federal judge.

That made it too much for Sen. John McCain, a bitter opponent of the interrogation program. McCain has labeled the interrogation tactics “torture” and claims they do not work. At least, that’s what he often claims. Other times, he grudgingly concedes that they do work but says we shouldn’t use them, because they are unreliable and contrary to our values. Still other times, he says he’d expect officials to use them in a “ticking bomb” crisis even though they are unreliable and contrary to our values . . . and that therefore those officials shouldn’t be prosecuted for the “torture” — at least if the tactics worked — even though he wouldn’t want you to think non-prosecution means these tactics are permissible under any circumstances. Is that clear?snip

The fact that he was our(not mine) last candidate for president-is part of what is making me so lerry this time. Please just give us someone with a half-a** chance this time :(

The fact that he was our(not mine) last candidate for president-is part of what is making me so lerry this time. Please just give us someone with a half-a** chance this time :(

If McCain hadn't picked Palin as his running mate I would've voted third party or stayed home. Rush has been talking for the past two hours about Country Club Pubbies(aka RINOs) pushing Mitch Daniels on him. That alone makes me leery of him. Throw in the RAT talkshow circuit saying "Anybody but Daniels!" and you kinda sense a pattern... :blink:

Ace, I voted for McCain-but didn't want to. For once I'd like to have somebody that I really WANT to vote for. Maybe that's too much to ask and I should be grateful that I have a congressman(Ryan) and a governor(Walker) that I would walk miles if I had to to vote for.