Bonhoeffer’s ‘Yes We Can’

Geee

bonhoeffer-s-yes-we-can-kathryn-jean-lopez
National Review:

Bonhoeffer’s ‘Yes We Can’
A perpetual peace plan.

‘I heard someone say yesterday that the last years had been completely wasted as far as he was concerned. I’m very glad that I have never yet had that feeling, even for a moment,” Dietrich Bonhoeffer wrote in April 1944.

Horrified by the Nazis’ treatment of Jews, the Lutheran pastor would join the conspiracy against Hitler and ultimately be hanged in a prison camp in April 1945.

He was a portrait of peace — the peace of a man who lived for otherworldly rewards. The doctor at the concentration camp would later recount: “At the place of execution, he again said a short prayer and then climbed the steps to the gallows, brave and composed. His death ensued after a few seconds. In the almost fifty years that I worked as a doctor, I have hardly ever seen a man die so entirely submissive to the will of God.”
Eric Metaxas, author of the monumental, authoritative, humbling, and rallying biography Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy, observes: “Bonhoefer thought it the plain duty of the Christian — and the privilege and honor — to suffer with those who suffered.” So convinced he was of the truth of the Gospel, it transformed his life.

His life serves as an inspiration. It challenges us, as Metaxas offered at a recent Becket Fund for Religious Liberty dinner, to live as though we truly do believe what we say we believe. (Metaxas was being honored for shining a bright light on Christian witness in our culture, because people — like those at the Becket Fund — devoted to the good tend to prop up the good.)snip

I cannot recommend Metaxas' biography of Bonhoeffer too highly.

Saw that this morning and posted it just for you shoutNickydog ;)

I cannot recommend Metaxas' biography of Bonhoeffer too highly.

I got it Saturday, and hope to start reading it tonight.

SrWoodchuck

During Beck's afternoon program, which can usually be seen again at midnight MST, he gave Bonhoeffer a large degree of credit for his formulative beliefs. This isn't the first time he has mentioned him & given him credit.