Demagoguery 101

Geee

article.php?id=43482
Human Events:

"I'm going to do my part to lead a constructive and civil debate on these issues."
-- Barack Obama, speech on immigration, El Paso, Texas, May 10

WASHINGTON -- Constructive and civil debate -- like the one Obama initiated just four weeks ago on deficit reduction? The speech in which he accused the Republicans of abandoning families of autistic and Down syndrome kids? The debate in which Obama's secretary of health and human services said that the Republican plan would make old folks "die sooner"?

In this same spirit of comity and mutual respect, Obama's most recent invitation to civil discourse -- on immigration -- came just 11 minutes after he accused opponents of moving the goal posts on border enforcement. "Maybe they'll need a moat," he said sarcastically. "Maybe they want alligators in the moat."

Nice touch. Looks like the Tucson truce -- no demonization, no cross-hairs metaphors -- is officially over. After all, the Republicans want to kill off the elderly, throw the disabled in the snow and watch alligators lunch on illegal immigrants.

The El Paso speech is notable not for breaking any new ground on immigration, but for perfectly illustrating Obama's political style: the professorial, almost therapeutic, invitation to civil discourse, wrapped around the basest of rhetorical devices -- charges of malice compounded with accusations of bad faith. "They'll never be satisfied," said Obama about border control. "And I understand that. That's politics."

How understanding. The other side plays "politics," Obama acts in the public interest. (BEG ITAL)Their(END ITAL) eyes are on poll numbers, political power, the next election; Obama's rest fixedly on the little children. snip