GOP defense authorization bill bans ‘monuments to me’ with taxpayer dollars

Geee

gop-defense-authorization-bill-bans-monuments-to-me-with-taxpayer-dollars
Daily Caller:

Take the James E. Clyburn Pedestrian Overpass. Or the The Charles B. Rangel Center for Public Service at the City College of New York.

Or, how about the C.W. Bill Young Marine Science Complex, the C.W. Bill Young Drawbridge, the C.W. Bill Young Cell Transplantation Program, the C.W. Bill Young Center for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases, the C.W. Bill Young University Partnership Center, the C.W. Bill Young Armed Forces Reserve Center, the C.W. Bill Young Regional Reservoir, and the C.W. Bill Young Department of Defense Marrow Donor Program?

All of these are taxpayer-funded facilities named after a sitting member of Congress, so-called “monuments to me.” Critics say putting a sitting lawmakers’ name on a federal facility is a conflict of interest. Not to mention unseemly.

But just-passed legislation in the House Armed Services Committee would put an end to these testaments to ego.

Rep. Mike Turner, Ohio Republican, is leading the charge. Turner introduced the amendment banning the monuments going forward. The amendment passed by a voice vote, and now the legislation is headed to the House floor.snip