Gingrich formally launches 2012 bid

Geee

160621-newt-gingrich-launches-2012-presidential-campaign
The Hill:

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich formally launched his 2012 campaign for president Wednesday with a tweet directing supporters to an announcement video on his campaign website.

"Today I am announcing my candidacy for President of the United States," Gingrich tweeted Wednesday afternoon.
His first interview as an official 2012 candidate is set for 9 p.m. Wednesday night with Fox News host Sean Hannity.

In a video posted on his campaign website, Gingrich touted his record as speaker and said he is running "because I believe we can return America to hope and opportunity."

"For four years we balanced the budget and paid off $405 billion in debt," Gingrich said in an announcement that didn't mention President Obama by name. "We've done it before. We can do it again." snip

WestVirginiaRebel

Personally I think he could run rings around Obama in any debate, but all the Democrats would have to do is bring up his personal baggage.

pollyannaish

Personally I think he could run rings around Obama in any debate, but all the Democrats would have to do is bring up his personal baggage.

He would there is no doubt about it. But when you have enough baggage to fill a train car, you're out of the running no matter who you are. He is the past at this point. We're looking for a future.

Al_Simmons

Quite right. There is no doubt in my mind that Newt would be a very good president, but his time has come and gone. Heck - he couldn't even lose the weight in preparation for this bid. If you're gonna come up against the skinny hoop-shooting 'Marlboro Man', and you're older to boot, you will be hurt by that visual. Just ask Tricky Dick Nixon, Bobdole and Sen McCain ....

However, should Chris Christie enter the race, this analysis will be rendered moot because he would take Zero apart like a child playing with a Mr Potato Head ...

I'm going to posit a theory about Newt running. He knows he has almost zero chance of winning the GOP nomination, but he can push the 'real' candidates to lay out a plan that appeals to the right and independants through the GOP debates. Whoever does come out the Republican nominee after Newt's gauntlet will be more than ready to take on Obambi.

I'm going to posit a theory about Newt running. He knows he has almost zero chance of winning the GOP nomination, but he can push the 'real' candidates to lay out a plan that appeals to the right and independants through the GOP debates. Whoever does come out the Republican nominee after Newt's gauntlet will be more than ready to take on Obambi.

Great minds think alike.