D.C. Residents Unable to Purchase Handguns After Sole Dealer Seeks New Office

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
?test=latestnews
Fox News:

It's been three years since the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the nation's toughest gun control law, the one in Washington, D.C. But a de facto ban has taken effect ever since the city's only firearms dealer stopped registering guns.

Because there are no gun shops in Washington, city residents who wish to legally possess a handgun must purchase them elsewhere and register them with Charles Syke, who charges $125 fee.

But Sykes won't register any more guns until he finds another office space for his business. In an interview with FoxNews.com, Sykes wouldn't say why he's moving or how long it will take him.

"I'm sure the residents will know when I'm accepting new firearms again," he said.

But at least one U.S. senator has taken notice and he's not happy about what he sees as a violation of the Second Amendment right to bear arms.

"Unfortunately, despite the Supreme Court ruling, the D.C. council has done everything in its power to restrict lawful gun owners from exercising their Second Amendment rights," Sen. Chuck Grassley said in an email to FoxNews.com. "How they go about doing that is up to them, but it's wrong that the residents of the district can't legally buy a gun and then bring it home."

Grassley suggested that the city government register the guns or that owners of guns purchased legally elsewhere in the U.S. be allowed to possess them in D.C.

Councilman-at-large Phil Mendelson, who developed gun-control restrictions after the Supreme Court ruling, said he's willing to consider allowing the city to register the guns but added that "it's easier said than done."

The city would have to get licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, the federal agency that oversees gun sales and registrations, and would need to meet all the agency's requirements, Mendelson said.

"I'm not opposed to it. It's not just a matter of we'll do this," he said.
________

I guess it's easier to smuggle guns into Mexico than it would be to register law-abiding gun owners in D.C....

AceRimmer
I guess it's easier to smuggle guns into Mexico than it would be to register law-abiding gun owners in D.C....

shoutWVR!

I'd love for the GOP to grill Holder on that issue because it's going to be biting him(and Obambi) all the way to January, 2013.