Facing possible Tea Party challenger, centrist Snowe moves to the right

Geee

159483-snowe-moves-to-the-right-and-defends-her-actions
The Hill:

Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine), once the Democrats' great hope for bipartisan healthcare reform legislation, has taken surprisingly conservative positions in the Senate this year.

Snowe said observers should not be surprised. She said that while her actions might have prompted a backlash from Democrats, they’re in keeping with long-held views.

Snowe stunned longtime Democratic colleagues Wednesday by blocking action on a small-business bill she co-wrote because Democratic leaders refused to allow a vote on an amendment they saw as a political hit job.

“Sen. Snowe actually wrote this bill,” said Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.), chairwoman of the Senate Small Business Committee. “She killed her own bill under the guise that she feels so strongly about reg reform.”

Snowe, the ranking Republican on the Small Business Committee, filibustered the bill because Democrats wouldn’t allow her a vote on an amendment she co-sponsored with Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), one of the Senate’s most outspoken conservatives. The amendment would curb federal agencies’ power to implement regulations. For example, it would require regulatory agencies to first study the potential impact on small businesses.

Snowe told The Hill that her Democratic colleagues shouldn’t be surprised. She said her amendment on regulatory reform is relevant to the underlying bill because it affects businesses across the country. She believes she had no recourse but to filibuster after Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) took the unusual step of denying her, the ranking member on the committee of jurisdiction, a chance to vote on her own proposal. snip

This reminds me something I see every year at work, 2-3 weeks before review time those who have spent the last year not doing their job suddenly become super workers. Like the boss is going to forget the last 12 months of slacking off.

That said this is Maine not Mississippi we're talking about.

saveliberty

Valin! Call it what you will, but this is hopeful.

I am sorry that Haley Barbour isn't running for President because he said, wisely, that what works in Mississippi does not work in Maine. [sorry, Governor Barbour, I am paraphrasing you.]

AceRimmer

This reminds me something I see every year at work, 2-3 weeks before review time those who have spent the last year not doing their job suddenly become super workers. Like the boss is going to forget the last 12 months of slacking off.

It's just like RINOs turning into fiscal and military hawks when they know they could be in deep doo-doo with the voters. Arlen Specter got away with this for years before even the RATS threw him under the bus last year.

I'm curious which other RINOs and harcore liberal RATS in swing states are going to try the same thing between now and next year when the Senate is on the line.