DOJ asks NCAA why playoff system doesn't exist

Argyle58

index.html?sct=hp_t2_a3
Sports Illustrated:

DOJ asks NCAA why playoff system doesn't exist

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Justice Department has sent a pointed letter to the NCAA asking why there isn't a playoff system for college football, saying "serious questions" continue to be raised about whether the current Bowl Championship Series complies with federal antitrust laws.

Critics have urged the department to launch an antitrust investigation into the BCS, saying that it unfairly gives some schools preferential access to the national championship game and top-tier bowls.

In a letter this week, the Justice Department's antitrust chief, Christine Varney, asked NCAA President Mark Emmert why college football doesn't use a playoff system to determine its national champion, while other NCAA sports do; what steps the NCAA has taken to create one, and whether Emmert thinks there are aspects of the BCS system that don't serve the interest of fans, schools and players.

"Your views would be relevant in helping us to determine the best course of action with regard to the BCS," she wrote.snip

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup, this is the most important thing on their plates this week.

AceRimmer
Before he was sworn in as president, Barack Obama said in 2008 that he was going to "to throw my weight around a little bit" to nudge college football toward a playoff system.

I thought Obambi was a basketball nut. Besides, how can a lightweight like him throw his weight around?

As much as I would like to see an 8 or 16 team playoff tied in with the bowls, this is a waste of taxpayer money and time for the DOJ to be getting its hooks into.

pollyannaish

Oh good grief. If this isn't a great example of liberal thinking I don't know what is. "When I grow up, I want to become President so I can change all the things about the world that bother me!" How old are these people? Ten? :rolleyes:

Edited to add: Sounds just like my fellow journalism students who were out to change the world via objectivity before I switched majors. Its pathetic and funny all at the same time.