The Trump Card

Geee

article.php?id=43159
Human Events:

The boomlet for Donald Trump as a Republican nominee for President of the United States ought to be a wake-up call for Republican candidates and Republican Party leaders alike.

Why has Trump surged ahead of other Republican candidates and potential candidates in the polls? It is not likely that his resurrection of the issue of Barack Obama's birth certificate has aroused all this support.

The birth certificate issue does more political damage to Obama's critics than to the president himself, because it enables the media to paint those critics as kooks. Nor are Donald Trump's political positions such as to create a stampede to his cause.

Radio talk show host Mark Levin has rebroadcast Trump's varied and mutually contradictory statements on political issues and personalities over the years. It was a devastating revelation of Trump's "versatility of convictions," to use a phrase coined long ago by Thorstein Veblen.

What then is Donald Trump's appeal-- and why should it concern Republican leaders in general?

What Trump has that so many other Republicans are so painfully lacking is the ability and the willingness to articulate his positions clearly, forcefully and in plain English. Too many Republicans talk like the actor of whom a critic once said, "he played the king like he was afraid that someone else was going to play the ace."

What electrified so many Republicans about Sarah Palin in the 2008 election campaign was that she was such a contrast to the usual mealy-mouth talk that was more common among other Republican candidates, including Senator John McCain. Whether you agreed or disagreed with her position on the issues, you didn't have to wave your hand in front of her eyes to see if she was awake.snip

Mitt Romney and Tim Pawlenty were both on Greta last night and I think their advisors have told them to talk more like the Donald. The author is dead-on about Palin rallying McCain's dead horse campaign, and while I don't think she'll run, she still isn't shy about telling anybody what she thinks about Obambi, which is why the RATS and LSM hate her so much.

It'll take awhile, IMO, before the lesson truly sinks in for the GOP candidates that Compassionate Conservatism and McCain-style niceness won't do against a street thug from Chicago like Obambi. I know he won't run, but I'd force the really serious candidates to watch videos of Chris Christie hammering the left in campaign speeches, debates and townhalls, and grow a set of cajones like he has.