The great escape: Brits flee royal wedding

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
britainroyalsmarriagetourism
Yahoo News:

LONDON (AFP) – While much of Britain grinds to a halt for the royal wedding next week, Susie Cleary will be camping with friends in the wilds of rural Wales, in blissful oblivion.

"We booked it in February. There'll be no television, there will probably be radio but I don't imagine we'll listen," said the 30-year-old lawyer from London.

She is one of millions of Britons who are planning to go on holiday when their compatriots celebrate the nuptials of Prince William and Kate Middleton in Westminster Abbey on April 29.

Some, like her, just want to avoid the whole thing after months of manic media coverage of the preparations for wedding of the son of Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana.

"With all the hype around the wedding it would be a nightmare to be in London in terms of transport and security," added Cleary.

"Also the whole event itself, I am completely not interested, it is a total waste of time, it is really irritating and pointless. I do object to it being forced on me."

Fully 45 percent of Britons are not planning to watch the celebrations, with 32 percent of people saying they would tune in, according to a survey by pollsters YouGov for online travel agent Lastminute.com.

But many people will be taking their vacations at the time of the wedding simply to take advantage of a long break coupling a holiday granted for the occasion with Easter and the May Day public holidays.

"I'm doing it myself," said Sean Tipton of the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA).

"A lot of people have been smart and realised that by taking three days off work you can get an 11-day break."

At least three million Britons are set to travel overseas during the period, according to estimates by ABTA.
________

"The Royals are coming! Run away! Run away!"

I'm still mystified as to why the American people and LSM are more caught up with this nonsense than the Brits are. As much as I adore Juliet Huddy, she couldn't stop gushing about Gretchyn Carlson getting to go to London to cover the wedding on F&F this morning.

The only thing that did give me a laugh is that the Obambi's weren't invited... B)

Why was Shep Smitrh selected to go, by FNC? Fashion commentary?

Andersen Cooper is going too. Wonder if he will take his 'life partner'?

Why was Shep Smitrh selected to go, by FNC? Fashion commentary?

Just about every male anchor at FNC is Irish, so they probably figured that Shep is a tad less obnoxious than Geraldo, who'd spend the whole time looking up old boyfriends and girlfriends of the couple to spill dirt on them during the wedding.

Geraldo was doing sleazeball TV years before we ever saw Jerry Springer...B)