Poll: Most Americans oppose raising debt limit

Valin

8301-503544_162-20056258-503544.html
CBS:

Brian Montopoli
4/21/11

Despite Obama administration warnings that failing to do so would devastate the economy, a clear majority of Americans say they oppose raising the debt limit, a new CBS News/New York Times poll shows.

Just 27 percent of Americans support raising the debt limit, while 63 percent oppose raising it.

Eighty-three percent of Republicans oppose raising the limit, along with 64 percent of independents and 48 percent of Democrats. Support for raising the debt limit is just 36 percent among Democrats, and only 14 percent among Republicans.

Raise-the-Debt-Limit_244.gif

(Snip)

More Here At Hot Air

The stalwart liberals will claim that we are all ignorant and do not understand economics. In truth, most Americans live in the common sense world in which we must live within the known limits of our finances. We take care of the necessities and then weigh the cost and benefits of the amenities.

Raising the debt limits without a fundamental change in the spending habits of our government is every much a disastrous move as it would be for any of us to try to live a lifestyle that exceeds our ability to pay for......eventually the debtors will demand to get paid.

Unfortunately, I am sure that a majority in both houses of Congress will vote to approve raising the debt ceiling, because it is they who have driven us into this ridiculous level of debt to begin with. It is a shame that our government has become a reflection of ideology rather than a body that sees to the true needs of the country.

The stalwart liberals will claim that we are all ignorant and do not understand economics.

Present! :D

eye R gots hole grat big lots of edumakashuns.

63 percent oppose raising it

And, it won't make a bit of difference.

It may...remember politicians pay a great deal of attention to polls.

Now I'm not all that bright (Note: at this point you're supposed to disagree :D) but I always thought a limit was supposed to be a point at which something stops, not a point where you raise the limit. Oh silly me.

I don't know whether they'll raise the limit or not, but keep a close eye on the final roll-calls in the House and Senate. My bet is the hardcore liberals and RINO's are going to be the ultimate deciders for raising the debt. Bluedog RATS and moderate Pubbies who vote for it better be ready for a hardcore challenge next year...

It'll get raised... Boner's already talking about what they're gonna ask for WHEN they raise the debt ceiling. What a chump. Remember the Republican motto... always let a crisis be completely underutilized.