Chevy Recalls Cruze After A Steering Wheel Falls Off

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
?mod=google_news_blog
Wall Street Journal:

Imagine turning your car’s steering wheel, or giving it a gentle tug, and having it break away from the steering column. Now you’re speeding along holding the suddenly useless wheel.

It sounds like a vision from a cartoon, or every driver’s nightmare. And it happened to at least one driver of a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze compact car last month, and General Motors Corp. is recalling 2,100 of the cars as a result.

While the recall affects a relatively small number of vehicles, it is an unpleasant development for Chevrolet, which has been riding high on the success of its new small car. Chevrolet sold 50,205 Cruzes through the end of March. That’s well short of the 76,821 units Toyota sold of the Cruze’s main rival, the Corolla, but it is ahead of the 37,379 Cobalts Chevy sold in the same period. The Cruze replaced the Cobalt and is supposed to be a departure from that uninspired model.

In documents filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the car maker said it traced the problem with that particular car to a case in which the wrong wheel was put in a car and replaced later in the assembly process with the correct one. But the new wheel wasn’t attached properly, the car maker says.

When the wheel separated from the steering column, the driver was able to get the car to the side of the road safely, and the company says it has tested other cars from the production run and found no similar problems. General Motors says it believes this was an isolated incident.

Chevrolet says it has changed the production process to make sure the machine used to attach the steering wheel can accommodate only the correct one. The company is recalling cars that were built before it made the change.

Under the recall, dealers will inspect the steering wheel to make sure it is properly attached. This service is free of charge and the recall is expected to begin on or before April 8, 2011. Owners may contact Chevrolet at 1-800-630-2438.
________

The wheels are literally coming off Government Motors...

I stand by my vow to never buy an American car, truck, or SUV again unless it's built by Ford. However the new Explorer is hideous, so I'll buy Japanese or German. If I win the Powerball, maybe I'll go for a Mustang. B)

As for Chevy, how long until they have to recall the 700 or so Volts they've actually managed to sell to tree-huggers and other liberals?

NowhereMan1966

Maybe the steering wheel falling off is some type of anti-theft device?

LOL! This is my first post, but I'm one of those poor guys that cannot afford a new car and I was going to enter a contest to win one of 3 Cruzes at a local dealer just for "craps and giggles." I have a 1994 Ford Exploder with some issues and a friend of mine had a 1985 Old Cutless Ciera in good shape with the Iron Duke 2.5L engine. His grandfather drove it until he was 103 when he passed on. I wants something cheaper on parts and easier to fix. Myself, I vowed not to buy GM cars from 2009 on although previous years are OK.

Maybe the steering wheel falling off is some type of anti-theft device?

LOL! This is my first post, but I'm one of those poor guys that cannot afford a new car and I was going to enter a contest to win one of 3 Cruzes at a local dealer just for "craps and giggles." I have a 1994 Ford Exploder with some issues and a friend of mine had a 1985 Old Cutless Ciera in good shape with the Iron Duke 2.5L engine. His grandfather drove it until he was 103 when he passed on. I want something cheaper on parts and easier to fix. Myself, I vowed not to buy GM cars from 2009 on although previous years are OK.

I'm with you, NowhereMan1966shout, about American cars being cheaper and easier to fix. However, our 1998 GMC Suburban, which has 117,000 miles on it and which we use to haul our boat, has become THE most expensive vehicle we've ever had to get fixed . . . or try to get fixed. It's been in and out of the shop for the past 6 months and they still cannot find what is wrong with the 4 wheel drive. We made the decision to "invest" in fixing it--even if we sell it. (We would not want to pass on its problems to others.) Now $2,000 later, we don't know when to quit. And I should mention that a friend who owns a trans shop is giving us all parts at his cost. So it could have been a lot more if someone else was doing the repairs.

Then again, we took our German made car to the dealer just to have it checked out. They did nothing and it cost us $800. So I still believe American stuff is cheaper to fix--and easier.

Setting:

Crash Dummies Biden and Obama hurtling down the nation's economic highway, WTF, at 90 klicks, the maximum permitted speed for the Cruze.

Dummy Biden: "Barack, this union built government owned product is sweet. Almost as good as my personal railroad."

Dummy Obama: "Hey, Joe, hold my beer arugula. Watch this! Uuhh, and hold my wheel."

image002.jpg

SrWoodchuck

Welcome, shoutNowhereMan1966!

"Chevrolet Cruze.......putting the excitement back in American driving!"

Our new Promotion:

"Buy a Cruze.....and we'll pay the first two years of auto insurance!"

"You can't looze with a Cruze!"

Welcome, shoutNowhereMan1966!

"Chevrolet Cruze.......putting the excitement back in American driving!"

Our new Promotion:

"Buy a Cruze.....and we'll pay the first two years of auto insurance!"

"You can't looze with a Cruze!"