Glenn Beck to Leave Fox News Program

Geee

glenn-beck-to-leave-fox-news-program-will-produce-and-develop-new-shows-for-fnc_b60690
Media Bistro:

Updated: Glenn Beck is out at Fox News Channel.

Beck’s Mercury Radio Arts and FNC have reached a deal which will see Beck “transition off of his daily program” later in 2011.

Beck’s much-reported troubles with the advertising community are believed to play a role in the decision.

Nonetheless, News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch has on a few occasions defended Beck and his program from advertiser issues, including in a call with shareholders last year:

One wanted to know how long Fox News would “subsidize” the show, which is “filled with house ads.”

“It’s not subsidizing the show at all,” Murdoch fired back, adding that the theatrical Beck gives “a terrific kickoff” to the Fox News evening lineup.

Of course, advertisers like Goldline are not paying the same CPMs that FNC’s other major advertisers were paying, so eventually something would have to give.

As Beck’s ratings have declined over the last year, the economics became even dicier. He may have the number three show in cable news, but without strong advertiser support, it is hard to be sustainable long term.

The deal also includes a production and development deal, which will have Beck and FNC “work together to develop and produce a variety of television projects for air on the FOX News Channel (FNC) as well as content for other platforms including FOX News’ digital properties.”

“Glenn Beck is a powerful communicator, a creative entrepreneur and a true success by anybody’s standards,” said FNC CEO Roger Ailes in a statement. ” I look forward to continuing to work with him.”snip

SrWoodchuck

shoutGeee! Thanks.....I was going to post this.....but you beat me to it! Kudos!

His ratings fell from 2.9 million to 1.8 million after his Restore Honor Rally......still bigger than any of his rivals in that time slot. I liked watching his shows.....especially the one with conservative black voices & his historical/Constitutional programs; but I wince & feel like turning away at times because of the absolute depth of depravity he exposed. His research was impeccable.

I really like a lot of what Beck exposes and the work that he does... I generally watch him once or twice a week.

Even though he's really good, I can only take so much... so often. It's too much for a daily diet.

shoutNCTexan

That's how I feel about Obama. Too much for a yearly diet. Forget two terms.

Beck is a man of passion. He gets under Obama's and Soros' skin and they squeak. The advertisers and MSM react.

I really like a lot of what Beck exposes and the work that he does... I generally watch him once or twice a week.

Even though he's really good, I can only take so much... so often. It's too much for a daily diet.

I sort of feel the same way. Beck is good, and he's funny, but he can overload you with too much information on occasion. Still, it's a loss for FNC, IMO.

shoutAcerimmer

(I hope they get Ted Baxter Bill O'Reilly to fill in an extra hour of Fox.)sarcasm

I'd like to see them bring in Stossel(entertaining) or Varney(pulls no punches) to fill the slot.

Maybe Juan can co-anchor with Geraldo during the old Beck hour.

Then Fox can prove without question that they are Fairly Unbalanced.

If they want to show they're really unbalanced, just get Alan Colmes to take over the slot(Only Ellis Henican is more annoying than he is). I'll give him about two days before FNC pulls the plug.

And throw in Ted Baxter, too.

righteousmomma

Very different tske on this at The Blaze (Beck's site)

Editor’s note: After a great deal of speculation about Glenn Beck’s future on television, here is the freshly-inked news release. There will be a couple of key headlines out of this…yes, there is a new agreement with Fox News but this is the first confirmation that Beck will “transition off of his daily TV program” later this year.

The program has obviously been a great success for Beck and for Fox News, and the relationship between the organizations seems as strong as ever.

This news release does leave some key questions unanswered for now, primarily, does Glenn have plans for a daily TV or video program down the road? The Blaze will be tracking reaction and speculation about this news release throughout the day. Check back for updates.

FOX NEWS AND MERCURY RADIO ARTS ANNOUNCE NEW AGREEMENT

(New York, NY) Fox News and Mercury Radio Arts, Glenn Beck’s production company, are proud to announce that they will work together to develop and produce a variety of television projects for air on the Fox News Channel as well as content for other platforms including Fox News’ digital properties. Glenn intends to transition off of his daily program, the third highest rated in all of cable news, later this year.

Roger Ailes, Chairman and CEO of Fox News said, “Glenn Beck is a powerful communicator, a creative entrepreneur and a true success by anybody’s standards. I look forward to continuing to work with him.”

Glenn Beck said: “I truly believe that America owes a lot to Roger Ailes and Fox News. I cannot repay Roger for the lessons I’ve learned and will continue to learn from him and I look forward to starting this new phase of our partnership.”

Joel Cheatwood, SVP/Development at Fox News, will be joining Mercury Radio Arts effective April 24, 2011. Part of his role as EVP will be to manage the partnership and serve as a liaison with the Fox News Channel.

Roger Ailes said: “Joel is a good friend and one of the most talented and creative executives in the business. Over the past four years I have consistently valued his input and advice and that will not stop as we work with him in his new role.”

“Glenn Beck” is consistently the third highest rated program on cable news. For the 27 months that “Glenn Beck” has aired on Fox News, the program has averaged more than 2.2 million total viewers and 563,000 viewers 25-54 years old, numbers normally associated with shows airing in primetime, not at 5pm. “Glenn Beck” has dominated all of its cable news competitors since launch.

If they want to show they're really unbalanced, just get Alan Colmes to take over the slot(Only Ellis Henican is more annoying than he is). I'll give him about two days before FNC pulls the plug.

Agreed AceRimmer!

Ellis is right up there on the annoyance scale. A real silver weasel. He'd look good made into a lady's stole.

ellis.jpg