Wisconsin High Court Race Could Be Headed to Recount

Geee

wisconsin-high-court-race-headed-recount
Fox News:

MADISON, Wis. -- The race between a conservative-leaning Wisconsin Supreme Court justice and a little-known challenger fueled by a wave of anger over the state's divisive new union rights law was too close to call early Wednesday morning.

Unofficial returns from Tuesday's election showed Justice David Prosser and his opponent, JoAnne Kloppenburg, were separated by fewer than 600 votes with 99 percent of precincts reporting. The contest was close enough that a recount appeared likely.

Under Wisconsin election law, a candidate has three days after the official results have been tallied to request a recount. The candidate must specify a reason for the request, such as a belief a mistake was made in the counting or some other irregularity.

An assistant state attorney general, Kloppenburg began her campaign with almost no name recognition and faced what looked like an uphill fight against Prosser.

But her campaign has surged in recent days as her supporters worked to focus anger over Republican Gov. Scott Walker's divisive collective bargaining law onto the conservative-leaning Prosser. The law's opponents hope a Kloppenburg victory will tilt the Supreme Court to the left and set the stage for the court to strike down the law. Election officials in Madison and Milwaukee have noted higher voter interest in what would have been an otherwise sleepy contest.snip

clearvision
MADISON — Wisconsin’s fight over union powers came to a head at the polls as voters split almost evenly over whether to re-elect a conservative-leaning justice or give his little-known opponent his seat on the state Supreme Court.

The race between Justice David Prosser and challenger JoAnne Kloppenburg was too close to call early Wednesday morning.

With 3,620 of 3,630 precincts reporting, Kloppenburg led Prosser 738,368 votes to 738,228.

Final, official results could vary and a recount appeared likely.

The race reflected the divide in the state over Republican Gov. Scott Walker’s collective bargaining law, which would eliminate public workers of nearly all their union powers. The issue, which could ultimately be decided by the state Supreme Court, propelled the relatively unknown Kloppenburg into prominence and heightened voter interest in the election.

She has pulled into a 140 vote lead this morning.

She is now ahead by 311-it is changing every couple of minutes. The count has been 99% since about 2:30 this morning??

Edited to add: at the beginning of the 99% he was up by over 800.

clearvision

Looks like they may need to pass the law again... Not sure why they are so set on not just passing it again. What is going to court is an open meetings violation suit.

righteousmomma

I heard Herman Cain being interviewed locally this morning and one of his comments was that "they" (Unions etc)are out to destroy Wisconsin.

I like his blunt speaking and his absolute disdain for the current policies and agenda for the current WH.

SrWoodchuck

I'm not sure about who supervises runoffs or recounts.....usually the SecState, but I think they are charged with certifying the winner......so the Soros plant in Wisconsin has a chance to influence whichever way the election goes.

Looks like they may need to pass the law again... Not sure why they are so set on not just passing it again. What is going to court is an open meetings violation suit.

I'm not sure about that either Clear. It may be that they don't want to make any more waves till they get some things done. The part of the bill which cuts spending got passed without much fanfare and a couple of other things to help dig us out. If the collective bargaining provision has to go to the State Supreme for some reason, I believe Prosser will be there till August which ever way this turns out. It would probably go before them before that. Putting this unqualified dimwit on the court, just to show you are in a snit is great for the state. We are stuck with her for 10 years. It's sort of the same attitude as 'I don't care if you lay people off, just don't take anything away from me'. A certain portion of justice will be diminished for the state so they can do something that they think might punish the governor.

Supreme Court REPORTING 100%

Joanne Kloppenburg

50%

David Prosser (inc)

50%

Fianl count!

clearvision
Counties must start to canvas the vote on Thursday and they have until April 15 to turn in the results. Once the county's last report is filed, a recount can be requested within three business days.

That makes April 20 the latest such a request could be made. If the county reports come in sooner, the deadline to ask for the recount would be pushed up as well.

Not sure what all is involved with canvasing the vote, but sounds like they have to double check things before they certify the vote count and then you can file for a recount.

There will be that oops so necessary bag of uncounted votes found in a closet to overcome any difference that Prosser might gain in a recount.