Tea Party leader calls for GOP to avoid shutdown

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
153925-tea-party-leader-calls-for-gop-to-avoid-govt-shutdown-
The Hill:

A top Tea Party activist urged Republicans to avoid a government shutdown as the deadline for Congress to reach a budget agreement nears.

The GOP posted legislation late Monday that would keep the government open for a week after Friday’s deadline, when the latest short-term funding resolution expires. But House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) said Tuesday that the White House has indicated it won't accept their measure, which "rais[es] the risk for a government shutdown."

"I don't think that's the right thing to do," said Tea Party Express Director Amy Kremer. "These guys were sent up here to make the hard decisions and that's exactly where they need to go now. ... They need to find that political will power [to find $100 billion in cuts] and do it."

Speaking at a breakfast hosted by The Christian Science Monitor Tuesday, Kremer called it "unrealistic" for the new GOP House majority to "completely turn these things around in a three-month period."

"So I think we have to be practical and realistic about it and do the things they said they're going to do, but I can tell you patience is wearing thin," she said. "I don't think it's a good thing to shutdown the government, but I do think they do need to do what they said they were going to do.

"They said they were going to cut $100 billion and they had time, they knew had won the House, they had time on this to figure out how to do it."

Kremer noted some Tea Party activists have talked about running a primary challenger against House Speaker John Boehner (Ohio).

"I can tell you that I spoke with the leaders of the Ohio Liberty Council — the Cincinnati Tea Party — and they were not there yet, and those are the people that if you're going to primary somebody, those are the people you're going to work with," she said. "And two weeks ago they weren't there, so I think we're going to have to follow their lead on that."
________

Waking up to political reality?

Video:

Related: Boehber says it's what the Democrats want.