FDA proposes more calorie count information

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
article.php?id=D9MBRB000&show_article=1
Breitbart:

WASHINGTON (AP) - It could get harder to indulge in a double cheeseburger and fries without feeling guilty.

Menu labeling requirements proposed Friday by the Food and Drug Administration will require chain restaurants with 20 or more locations, along with bakeries, grocery stores, convenience stores and coffee chains, to clearly post the calorie count for each item on their menus.

"We've got a huge obesity problem in this country and it's due in part to excess calorie consumption outside the home," says Mike Taylor, FDA deputy commissioner for foods. "Consumers generally when you ask them say they would prefer to have that information."

The new rules will apply to menus, both in restaurants and drive-through lanes. They will also apply to vending machines if calorie information isn't already visible on the package.

The calorie counts will apply to an estimated 280,000 establishments and could be on menus by 2012. Required as part of health overhaul legislation signed into law last year, they are designed to give restaurant diners information that has long been available on packaged goods cooked at home. The FDA estimates that a third of calories are consumed by eating out.

But don't expect calorie shock when ordering at the movie theater, where a tub of popcorn can contain well north of a thousand calories—movie theaters are exempt, along with airplanes, bowling alleys and other businesses whose primary business is not to sell food, according to the FDA. Movie theaters pushed to be left out after guidelines published last year included them.

Alcohol will also be exempted, according to the agency. Margo Wootan, director of nutrition policy at the advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest, says that could be misleading to consumers.

"I think it's going to be confusing if customers see the calories for soft drinks and juice labeled on the menu but not other drinks such as beer and wine," she said. "It will make it seem like they are better choices."
________

Apparently they don't want people to be sober enough to see how much they're eating...

pollyannaish

Like everything else the government does, some pigs--which are more equal than others--get an exemption.

SrWoodchuck

Updated version of the Graduate's plastics

Ink, paper, decals, and labels

Off the thread topic, but this seems like a good place for this youtube:

clearvision

Sort of back on topic. One of the things I've been hearing some from restaurants is that they feel they will need to go to electronic menus some day strictly because of the need to spell out all ingredients, nutrition info and calorie crap. Their menus change all the time with special dishes and they won't be able to keep up with print menus. These are high end restaurants. I don't think I want to order my Filet Oscar and side of twice baked potatoes, with the chocolate souffle and have to look at all that crap. Although bad for the consumer, bad for the restaurant, it might be good for someone :D

pollyannaish

Sort of back on topic. One of the things I've been hearing some from restaurants is that they feel they will need to go to electronic menus some day strictly because of the need to spell out all ingredients, nutrition info and calorie crap. Their menus change all the time with special dishes and they won't be able to keep up with print menus. These are high end restaurants. I don't think I want to order my Filet Oscar and side of twice baked potatoes, with the chocolate souffle and have to look at all that crap. Although bad for the consumer, bad for the restaurant, it might be good for someone :D

Yay. I was hoping someone might be thinking about that. It's been on my mind for almost a year now and just know that someone may have exactly the skills it takes to make it happen. B)

Hey Clearvision!

You gotta really start thinking outside of the box.

Develop the iNanny™.

Just connect the iPad to a weight sensitive seat pad for the restaurant chair and integrate with their menu. Then the iNanny will only let you order what "ME"shelle and "I"bama think that you should be allowed to eat. You even have a ready made marketing slogan.

EAT WELL... WE'RE LOOKING AFTER YOU!

grey_eyes.gif

righteousmomma

5205d1257180697-america-nanny-state-clip_image001-1-.gif

NCT, proud of ya.

AGREE wholeheartedly with every ounce of body fat on me!

(First place though the nannies will need computer brains to keep up with all the dietary daily requirements' daily changes according to Garp and possible allergic reactions found in every item one puts in one's mouth as mandated by the other nannies.)

Btw, between meal snacking is a cause of weight gain in America but so are genetics, using a car for legs, and daily multiple beers and too many bad carbs and plain ole life attitudes.

I also highly recommend the movie Fat Head.

righteousmomma

[quote name='NCTexan' date='04 April 2011 - 07:18 AM'

Hey Clearvision!

You gotta really start thinking outside of the box.

Develop the iNanny™.

Just connect the iPad to a weight sensitive seat pad for the restaurant chair and integrate with their menu. Then the iNanny will only let you order what "ME"shelle and "I"bama think that you should be allowed to eat. You even have a ready made marketing slogan.

EAT WELL... WE'RE LOOKING AFTER YOU!

grey_eyes.gif

Sounds like a wiener, NCT! We could all be biliousaires!