AARP’s Billion Dollar ObamaCare Windfall

Geee

aarps-billion-dollar-obamacare-windfall
Big Government:

Ever since the passage of ObamaCare, I’ve been perplexed by a lingering question: Why did AARP so aggressively lobby for passage of the law? After all, the plan was built on $500 billion in cuts to Medicare. Even in Washington, half a trillion dollars is still a ton of money. Medicare is sacrosanct among America’s senior citizens. It was unfathomable to me that the nation’s largest membership association of seniors would, not just not oppose the cuts, but would actively lobby for them. It didn’t make any sense.

Mostly, I just chalked up AARP’s actions to its general leftist, partisan leanings. Medicare cuts by Republicans are bad, but cuts by Democrats to increase government involvement in health care are okay. Boy, was I wrong.

According to this blockbuster report, released today by the House Ways and Means Committee, AARP’s support of ObamaCare and, specifically, the Medicare cuts was entirely rational and self-serving. The Committee found, after an 18 month investigation, that AARP stands to reap an extra billion dollars in profits from ObamaCare. (Yes, that is billion with a B.) Worse, this extra profit is largely BECAUSE of the Medicare cuts.

AARP’s members may face uncertainty over their future health care because of the cuts, but AARP faces certain windfall profits for itself.snip

clearvision

So they are putting the screws to insurance companies on payout percentage versus actual medical expenses, but AARP is raking 5% off the top?

So they are putting the screws to insurance companies on payout percentage versus actual medical expenses, but AARP is raking 5% off the top?

It's the Chicago Way... :rolleyes:

SrWoodchuck

It's the Chicago Way... :rolleyes:

D*mn straight, shoutAce!

The small item at the end of the Big Gov.com article was what I remembered......the "Medi-Gap" insurance that they "negotiated" the sole right to sell to seniors. The comments for the article, were excellent too.