The Governor Who Cut His State Down to Size

Valin

SB10001424052748703905404576164293594303936.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read
WSJ:

NEIL KING JR.

CULVER, Indiana—Pundits say he's too short, at 5-foot-7, and lacks the requisite pizzazz to be elected president.

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels believes he faces a taller challenge as he ponders a White House run: Could voters warm to his message that the country is doomed unless it slashes its debt and radically revamps the popular Social Security and Medicare programs?

(Snip)

If the time is indeed right for Mr. Daniels's get-tough message, the angry budget standoffs in states such as Wisconsin, Ohio and New Jersey are also shining a new light on his credentials as a messenger. Mr. Daniels rescinded collective-bargaining rights for state employees six years ago—long before Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker caused a firestorm by putting the same issue on the table.

(Snip)

That was a very good speech Daniels gave at CPAC but there are other concerns about him other than his height (btw, I had no idea he was that short) - his advice to set aside "the social issues", his openess to consider the VAT, and his allowing a toll road in his own state to be owned by a foreign entity, among others. Still, he'd big improvement over what we have now.

That was a very good speech Daniels gave at CPAC but there are other concerns about him other than his height (btw, I had no idea he was that short) - his advice to set aside "the social issues", his openess to consider the VAT, and his allowing a toll road in his own state to be owned by a foreign entity, among others. Still, he'd big improvement over what we have now.

For me this primary race is all about who can beat Obama. I'm willing to make compromises in order to beat him.