It's Party Time: White House to celebrate Motown

NCTexan

in_living_color_2_01.jpgThe Detroit News:

White House to celebrate Motown with tribute concert

The White House will celebrate Black History Month with a Feb. 24 concert celebrating Detroit's best-known musical import.

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama will host "The Motown Sound: In Performance at the White House," a tribute to the record company Berry Gordy Jr. founded here at the dawn of the 1960s.

The concert will be filmed for broadcast at 8 p.m. March 1 on PBS stations. snip

The event will be emceed by HOPEy the CLOWN... with a lot of help from TOTUS.

the Obamas are not ambassadors of class, unlike the Motown artists who were.

Artist development was a major part of Motown's operations. The acts on the Motown label were fastidiously groomed, dressed and choreographed for live performances. Motown artists were advised that their breakthrough into the white popular music market made them ambassadors for other African American artists seeking broad market acceptance, and that they should think, act, walk and talk like royalty, so as to alter the less-than-dignified image commonly held by white Americans in that era of black musicians. Given that many of the talented young artists had been raised in housing projects and were short on social and dress skills, this Motown department was not only necessary, it created an elegant style of presentation long associated with the label. The artist development department specialized primarily in working with younger, less experienced acts; experienced performers such as Jr. Walker and Marvin Gaye were exempted from artist development classes.

obama-backers-singing-slots-motown-bash
WhiteHouseDosier.com:

Some of the performers at tonight’s White House tribute to Motown don’t seem to have much obvious connection to Motown. But they do have a connection: to Obama.

Tonight’s East Room event is titled, “The Motown Sound: In Performance at the White House – a Thank You from the Obamas to Their Supporters.”

OK, actually, it’s only titled, “The Motown Sound: In Performance at the White House,” but that hardly seems to do the event justice.

Let’s start by wondering what white teen idol Nick Jonas is doing on the line up.

The Jonas Brothers perform one of their classic Motown hits.
I can’t say I’m completely familiar with Mr. Jonas’s ouvre, but what I’ve heard of it sounds like standard teeny bopper stuff to me.

It would seem he has as much connection to Motown as Lawrence Welk. But it turns out his band, the Jonas Brothers, sang at a celebration of Obama’s inauguration.

snip

What do they need with Hopey the Clown when they already have clowns for the host and hostess.

Cudjo!

I too was thinking about the new HOPEy the CLOWN...

Although I can't quite envision MEchelle as a Fly Girl. :unsure:

HopeytheClown-1.jpg

"Hey Barry... America Don't Play That!"

And now come with me into the West Wing...

Don't know if it is accurate, but I read that Smokie Robinson is the only Motown artist invited. Sheryl Crow is motown??

As much as I'm Mozart...

As for Smokie being the only Motown artist going, I guess the rest of the alumni didn't kick in enough campaign cash for Obambi to bother wasting time on... :rolleyes:

Will Phil Spector get a pardon to do the necessary mixing?

Will that Neo/Retro/R&B group "Al Kaydie & the Terrors" be asked to perform?

Will there be NBPP ushers, with special "all-whitey" sections?

Will Obama continue his pre-deliction to keep things on the "down-low?"

Seriously: That period of R&B is some of the best music, that humans have ever made.

Why does Obama have to ruin everything he touches......he must re-invent himself......and get back in the "groove" for 2012.....is there nothing that's sacred?

Why does Obama have to ruin everything he touches......he must re-invent himself......and get back in the "groove" for 2012.....is there nothing that's sacred?

SrWoodChuck!

Yup... he's always the proverbial "floater" in the punch bowl, isn't he.

I like Motown music. It is a wonderful part of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Don't like the freak show in the White House however and will try to not let this alter my enjoyment of the music.