Pentagon denies David Petraeus plans to quit command

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
pentagon-petraeus-quit
UK Guardian:

The Pentagon has denied that the commander of US and Nato forces in Afghanistan, General David Petraeus, is planning to quit by the end of the year.

The Times reported that the Pentagon was looking to replace Petraeus, who was appointed eight months ago.

But the Pentagon said that while it constantly reviewed rotations, particularly as a number of senior posts were about to fall vacant, no decision had been made about Petraeus.

Petraeus is popular in the US, credited with first turning around Iraq and now, as head of Nato's International Security Assistance Force (Isaf), helping to reverse Taliban gains in southern Afghanistan and bring a degree of stability.

Geoff Morrell, the Pentagon spokesman, said: "Despite some sensational speculation by one of the London papers, I can assure you General Petraeus is not quitting as Isaf commander, but nor does he plan to stay in Afghanistan for ever.

"Obviously he will rotate out at some point, but that point has not yet been determined and it will not occur any time soon. Until then, he will continue to ably lead our coalition forces in Afghanistan."

By the end of the year, Petraeus will have done 18 months, a normal rotation for the post, and he would be in the running for a more senior post back in the US.

US forces are due to begin a drawdown in July but Petraeus will fight to keep as many as possible in Afghanistan to try to pacify the country, in a repeat of the strategy he used in Iraq. He might then ask to stay into next year.
________

Whatever his future is, I wish Petraeus well and godspeed.

Going with my usual approach which is to reject all news until it is verified by multiple, reliable sources, I tend to agree with this source until proven otherwise.