Petraeus to quit Afghan campaign

Rheo

news
The Times:

General David Petraeus, the most celebrated American soldier of his generation, is to leave his post as commander of US and Nato forces in Afghanistan. The Times can reveal that the Pentagon aims to replace General Petraeus, who was appointed less than eight months ago, by the end of the year. Sources have confirmed that the search for a new commander in Kabul is under way. It forms part of a sweeping reorganisation of top American officials in Afghanistan, which the Obama Administration hopes to present as proof that its strategy does not depend on the towering reputation of one man.snip

shoutRheo

I don't even have to read the article (I will later) to know that the following sentence

"its strategy does not depend on the towering reputation of one man"

cannot now nor in the future ever refer to Mr. Barack Obama.

NRO

snip

But did you catch that “by the end of the year” bit? We’re halfway through February. And if true, I should hope the administration is already looking for a replacement. It’s a tall order.

UPDATE: We have this on the record from Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell:

“Despite some sensational speculation by one of the London papers, I can assure you General Petraeus is not quitting as ISAF commander, but nor does he plan to stay in Afghanistan forever. Obviously he will rotate out at some point, but that point has not yet been determined and it will not occur anytime soon. Until then, he will continue to ably lead our coalition forces in Afghanistan.”

Just about what I thought. General Petraeus ain’t going anywhere any time soon.

NRO

snip

But did you catch that “by the end of the year” bit? We’re halfway through February. And if true, I should hope the administration is already looking for a replacement. It’s a tall order.

Wanna make a bet?

UPDATE: We have this on the record from Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell:

“Despite some sensational speculation by one of the London papers, I can assure you General Petraeus is not quitting as ISAF commander, but nor does he plan to stay in Afghanistan forever. Obviously he will rotate out at some point, but that point has not yet been determined and it will not occur anytime soon. Until then, he will continue to ably lead our coalition forces in Afghanistan.”

Just about what I thought. General Petraeus ain’t going anywhere any time soon.

Good news!!!

I'm glad I'm with family when I receive really bad news.

Feel better now, Dad, it appears it may not be so. ;)

Speaking of which, we will be down to see you both when the snow melts.

I'm glad I'm with family when I receive really bad news.

Feel better now, Dad, it appears it may not be so. ;)

Speaking of which, we will be down to see you both when the snow melts.

We'll try to make sure that cousin Irina can make it then, too. :lol:

you guys are a hoot....

and what decent general/admiral would feel comfortable serving under The One?

I hope to see Petraeus run for some office. or how about Secy Defense under the next CONSERVATIVE president..