Iran police fire tear gas at protesters

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
article.php?id=CNG.0f2dd822954982bb57cab5b034071896.ef1&show_article=1
Breitbart:

Riot police on Monday fired tear gas and shot paintballs at protesters who turned what they said was a Tehran rally in support of Arab uprisings into an anti-government demonstration, witnesses said.

The clashes broke out at Tehran's prominent Azadi (Freedom) Square when crowds of opposition supporters began chanting "Death to Dictator!" -- a slogan used by protesters against President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad after the disputed 2009 presidential election.

Witnesses said police fired tear gas and also shot paintballs at protesters who had gathered despite a ban by authorities.

Websites and witnesses said thousands of opposition supporters had taken to the streets of the capital in support of Arab revolts despite a heavy police deployment.

Iranian authorities had earlier surrounded the house of opposition leader Mir Hossein Mousavi to prevent him from attending the rally which regime-backers said was a ploy to stage anti-government protests similar to those which shook the foundations of the Islamic republic in 2009.

While Iran has backed the Arab uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt, the interior ministry in Tehran banned the Monday rally which Mousavi and fellow opposition leader Mehdi Karroubi had sought to hold.
________

To their credit, the Obama administration has called Iran out on its hypocrisy. Will the Middle East get to see what a real freedom movement looks like?

To their credit, the Obama administration has called Iran out on its hypocrisy. Will the Middle East get to see what a real freedom movement looks like?

So, I think about this...

As a constitutional conservative, I believe our youth and MSM is completely out of touch and takes for granted our freedom. Meanwhile, my perception is that the islamic elders in the mideast reject our notion of freedom. So, is the view of youth, and their "right" to twitter, and their "right" to blog a spark to an American style constitution in the mideast? Is what I consider a negative in our Republic a positive boon in a middle-east dictatorship?

So, I think about this...

As a constitutional conservative, I believe our youth and MSM is completely out of touch and takes for granted our freedom. Meanwhile, my perception is that the islamic elders in the mideast reject our notion of freedom. So, is the view of youth, and their "right" to twitter, and their "right" to blog a spark to an American style constitution in the mideast? Is what I consider a negative in our Republic a positive boon in a middle-east dictatorship?

good observation, Saltbag!

AND I was so very disappointed the youth movement in 2009 was so successfully ended by the government.