Obama Refers To Himself As "The Gipper" In Farewell To Gibbs

pollyannaish

obama_refers_to_himself_as_the_gipper_in_farewell_to_gibbs.html
Real Clear Politics:

President Obama recounts an anecdote about the 2004 Democratic National Convention at White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs' final press briefing:

"The most challenging problem was what tie to wear. And this went up to the very last minute. I mean, 10 minutes before we were about to go on stage we were still having an argument about ties. I had bought five, six ties. And Michelle didn't like any of them, Axelrod didn't like a couple of them -- him being one of the best dressed men in the world. So we really valued his opinion.

"And then somebody -- I don't remember who it was -- turned and said, 'You know what? What about Gibbs' tie? What about Gibbs' tie? That might look good.' And, frankly, Robert didn't want to give it up because he thought he looked really good in the tie. But eventually he was willing to take one for the gipper, and so he took off his tie, and I put it on. And that's the tie that I wore at the national convention."

Video at link.

:o

Anyone else think that is profoundly weird?

shoutPollyannaish! I do.

He's compared himself to Lincoln & now Reagan. It's wish fulfillment.

A man with no real identity [or a number of conflicting one's] yearns for approval & belonging. Plus he hopes that the more he associates himself with acceptable models.....the sooner he will be accepted.

Imagine Obama as Stuart Smalley........"I'm good enough.....I'm smart enough....and doggone it, people like me!"

Feb 7, 2011 Time cover

TIME-Mag-Why-Obama-Love-Reagan-e1296245828504.jpg

In this issue

Edition: U.S.

Vol. 177 No. 5

COVER

The Role Model (The Well / Cover)

Barack Obama realized long ago that Ronald Reagan was a transformational President who reshaped the nation and its politics. Now Obama is fashioning his own presidency to follow the Gipper's playbook

Edited by Rheo
added text

That is exactly what creeps me out Rheo! The press compares him to Reagan and suggests he is copying him...and he starts to call himself the Gipper. :o

Leaders are people who are visionaries, who have an idea of where they'd like to take the country and how to get it there. They don't believe their own press and start to wear other people's lives like a costume. That's just weird!

You don't want to "fashion" yourself after others...you want to do such a good job that eventually people will fashion themselves after you because you were successful.

Imitation in leadership is really just failure by another name.

Makes me wonder if he really started to believe the "Messiah" stuff. Could explain the oceans receding and all that rhetoric.

Creepy, creepy! Not to mention a little scary. Good thing I don't believe this countries biggest asset is it's President.

"The Gipper" is not a term that would have naturally been used by Barry.... knowing the circle of friends with whom he's spent his whole life.

This was a carefully thought out "slip of the tongue".

More appropriately he should be known as the "Dipper".... or the "Big Dip".

obama_icecream.jpg

He's compared himself to Lincoln & now Reagan. It's wish fulfillment.

A man with no real identity [or a number of conflicting one's] yearns for approval & belonging. Plus he hopes that the more he associates himself with acceptable models.....the sooner he will be accepted.

"Well said, shoutSrWoodChuck

I'd also repeat what Curly said, but everyone knows the line.

shoutSrWoodChuck

shoutNCTexan

"Gipper Barack" is an anagrammatic one act play. Here it is in its entirety, with permission from the publisher:

INT. OVAL OFFICE

ZERO:

Me?

<<sound effect>

Pop

<<audience>>

Airbag!

This was followed by a one line sequel "Barack as the Gipper" also anagrammatic, with a bird for comic relief:

INT. OVAL OFFICE

FROM BIRD CAGE

<<Parakeet chirp>>

ZERO:

<<gabs>>

The White House declined to comment on the third sequel "Obama is no Reagan" also anagrammatic

INT. OVAL OFFICE

FROM DESK

ZERO:

I am ego or bananas.