House GOP unveils $61B spending cut plan

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
US_CONGRESS_SPENDING?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US
TBO.com:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- House Republicans called for cuts in hundreds of programs across the face of government Friday night in a $61 billion savings package toughened at the last minute at the demand of tea party-backed conservatives.

From education to job training, the environment and nutrition, few domestic programs were left untouched - and some were eliminated - in the measure, which is expected to reach the floor for a vote next week.

Among the programs targeted for elimination are Americorps and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

In contrast, spending on defense and veterans' programs were protected.

The measure marks an initial down payment by newly empowered Republicans on their promise to rein in federal deficits and reduce the size of government.

In a statement, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., called the measure "a historic effort to get our fiscal house in order and restore certainty to the economy. .This legislation will mark the largest spending cut in modern history and will help restore confidence so that people can get back to work."
________

The Axemen cometh!

Let's see... 1.3 trillion, minus 61 billion .... Hmm. I wasn't a math major, but...

It's the right direction, but I'm hesitant to call these guys our heros. It's going to take much tougher love. My beloved state representative Eric Cantor likes the word "historic." Since when is driving up the debt, but at a slightly slower rate, historic?

Not having a debt. That's historic. I'll even take a one dollar decrease as historic.