Egyptian Official: Mubarak to Step Down, Transfer Authority to Armed Forces

clearvision

egyptian-official-mubarak-step-transfer-authority-armed-forces
FOX News:

President Hosni Mubarak will step down shortly and transfer authority to the Egyptian Higher Council of the Armed Forces, a senior Egyptian official confirmed to Fox News on Thursday.

The group is comprised of the minister of defense, Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi -- who stands atop the military hierarchy -- along with the military's chief of staff, the chief of operations, and commanders of the Army, Navy, Air Force and Air Defenses.

The source pointed out that the transfer of power will occur "outside of the constitutional framework" because under the Egyptian constitution, Mubarak's resignation ordinarily would mean that the speaker of the house would become president and elections would be held within 60 days. In this case, the military council will "not be governing under the constitution or any legislation," the source noted. "So they will have to define the format under which they are taking power." :snip:

""All your demands will be met today," Gen. Hassan al-Roueini, military commander for the Cairo area, told thousands of protesters in central Tahrir Square. The protesters lifted al-Roueini onto their shoulders and carried him around the square, shouting, "the army, the people one hand." Some in the crowd held up their hands in V-for-victory signs, shouting "the people want the end of the regime" and "Allahu akbar," or "God is great," a victory cry used by secular and religious people alike."

Tea Party - take notes.

All your demands will be met today

Caller on Rush

"Norma"

Norma: I don't know Mubarak personally but people live there in cemeteries on less than $2 a day. We need to be more compassionate to others.

Rush: How would you fix this?

Norma: Wealth is not properly distributed.snip Obama needs to visit the hood.

Rush: Who did you vote for in the last election? This is not a test.

Norma: I am in the hood. (Norma never answered question.)

Norma: I don't know Mubarak personally

:lmfao:

Pepper!

Norma: "I don't know Mubarak personally... but I did spend the night in a Holiday Inn Express."

Wow... that "Norma from the Hood" was on to something. End world poverty (and especially in her hood... she can provide a bank routing number for the funds transfer directly to her account) by just redistributing the money... preferably from Obama's "stash".

Rush just saying what we knew all along.

Obama pandering to the young people of the US for future votes and using the Egypt crisis for his reelection campaign in talking about how the voices in Egypt are being heard.

Rush just saying what we knew all along.

Obama pandering to the young people of the US for future votes and using the Egypt crisis for his reelection campaign in talking about how the voices in Egypt are being heard.

Pepper! He can't help it......it's in his "mom" genes. He loves smell & excitement of the "power of the people" in demonstrations.............hey, wait a moment......isn't he a Kenyan Muslim? Maybe he can take over for Mubarak in Egypt.......Mu-Barack Obama!

Edited for grammar & grampar.

Edited by SrWoodchuck

Sounds as though he is not going anywhere until after the election later this year.

I have a feeling all hell is going to break loose in Cairo.

In a nationally televised address following a tumultuous day of political rumors and conflicting reports, Mr. Mubarak said he would “admit mistakes” and honor the sacrifices of young people killed in the three-week uprising, but that he would continue to “shoulder my responsibilities” until September, and did not give a firm indication that he would cede political power.

I don't have the quote to post, but he also seemed to tell the O to mind his own business, no one from the outside is going to tell him what to do.

The Won on Egypt Thursday evening

The Egyptian people have made it clear that there is no going back to the way things were: Egypt has changed, and its future is in the hands of the people. Those who have exercised their right to peaceful assembly represent the greatness of the Egyptian people, and are broadly representative of Egyptian society.

We have seen young and old, rich and poor, Muslim and Christian join together, and earn the respect of the world through their non-violent calls for change. In that effort, young people have been at the forefront, and a new generation has emerged.

They have made it clear that Egypt must reflect their hopes, fulfill their highest aspirations, and tap their boundless potential.

In these difficult times, I know that the Egyptian people will persevere, and they must know that they will continue to have a friend in the United States of America.

Sounds as though the WH is fed up with the Mu. Saying they support the people and will stand behind the people, blah blah. Telling Mu he is a goner, we stand with the people. Just gets Mu's dander up. Funny, dictators just don't like being told what to do.

It looks like "He won't go gently in that goodnight". By the way that is a poem/wordplay by Dylan Thomas. He needs the support of the army more than ever. If they switch sides, he is history.

Saudi Arabia has threatened to prop up embattled Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak if the Obama administration tries to force a swift change of regime in Egypt, The Times of London reported Thursday.

In a testy personal telephone call on Jan. 29, Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah reportedly told President Obama not to humiliate Mubarak and warned that he would step in to bankroll Egypt if the U.S. withdrew its aid program, worth $1.5 billion annually.

America's closest ally in the Gulf made clear that the Egyptian president must be allowed to stay on to oversee the transition towards peaceful democracy and then leave with dignity.

"Mubarak and King Abdullah are not just allies, they are close friends, and the King is not about to see his friend cast aside and humiliated," a senior source in the Saudi capital told The Times

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/09/source-saudis-tell-obama-humiliate-mubarak/#ixzz1DcRe8CUw

Saudi Arabia has threatened to prop up embattled Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak if the Obama administration tries to force a swift change of regime in Egypt, The Times of London reported Thursday.

In a testy personal telephone call on Jan. 29, Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah reportedly told President Obama not to humiliate Mubarak and warned that he would step in to bankroll Egypt if the U.S. withdrew its aid program, worth $1.5 billion annually.

America's closest ally in the Gulf made clear that the Egyptian president must be allowed to stay on to oversee the transition towards peaceful democracy and then leave with dignity.

"Mubarak and King Abdullah are not just allies, they are close friends, and the King is not about to see his friend cast aside and humiliated," a senior source in the Saudi capital told The Times

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/09/source-saudis-tell-obama-humiliate-mubarak/#ixzz1DcRe8CUw

Kind Abdullah is not going to risk billions of dollars of oil sales and his kingdom for a guy who is toast within the next 24-72 hours.He is also worrying whether he will be the next to fall.

Egypt's powerful armed forces backed the handoff of power from President Hosni Mubarak to his vice president and pledged to ensure the transition to free elections, amid reports that the president had left the capital for his home in the Red Sea resort of Sharm El-Sheikh.snip

WSJ

Mubarak Leaves Cairo for Sharm el-Sheikh

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak has resigne.d Vice President Omar Suleiman said in a brief televised statement. His statement in full: "Hosni Mubarak has waived the office of presidency and told the army to run the affairs of the country. "

Congratulations to the people of Egypt! May God bless your peaceful transition to a successful democracy.

Thinking about the entire history of subjugation of Egyptian populations; this is an historic achievement.

It seems like "popping" a blister, and I wonder what was used [Mubarak's cancer & stress?] to get him to cede power. The fact that he rose from the military, and the military is intertwined in both Egytian government & administration of the business of the economy; leads me to think that the military will maintain the facade of transition, and get people back to work, to prevent their economy from collapsing. The new "trusted" candidates for power will arise from the military, and given that they are more secular & westernized than the population; we may hope for continued good relations with the US & Israel. [ and maybe even a democracy that will be a threat to the sword & flame of militant Islam.]

Edited for poor speling and punktoo-a-shun. [and I still probably didn't get it right, did I?]

Edited by SrWoodchuck