CNN Poll: Republicans want winner over ideology in 2012

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
cnn-poll-republicans-want-winner-over-ideology-in-2012
CNN:

Washington (CNN) - Given the choice between a candidate who agrees with them on the issues or a candidate who can defeat President Barack Obama in 2012, a new national poll indicates Republicans overwhelming want a winner.

According to CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Tuesday, nearly seven out of ten Republicans say they would prefer a GOP presidential nominee who can top Obama in the next election, with 29 percent saying a nominee who agrees with them on every issue that matters the most is more important.

"Republicans are divided on their choice for the GOP nominee in 2012, but they are united in their desire to see Obama ousted from the White House," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

The survey indicates that the race for the Republican nomination is still wide open, with Mike Huckabee, Sarah Palin, and Mitt Romney all clustered at the top of the pack. Twenty-one percent of Republicans and independents who lean Republican say if Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor and 2008 GOP presidential candidate, decides to run for the White House, they would be likely to support him for their party's presidential nomination, followed by Palin, the former Alaska governor & 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee, at 19 percent, and Romney, the former Massachusetts governor and 2008 Republican presidential contender, at 18 percent.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, at ten percent, is the only other Republican tested who gets double-digit support. Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, who made a bid for the last GOP presidential nomination, came in at seven percent, with the remaining potential candidates named in the poll all in the low single digits. CNN's poll numbers are in-line with most other national GOP 2012 horse race surveys.
________

It's from CNN, but I think it does reflect how most Republicans feel. Vet all the candidates and let the best one step forward.

WVR!

I call BS on this.......CNNBSMSNBC!

Just took a poll at iOTW.com, on this very subject & Ideology led, at 80+%.

Edited to add: Site was WeazelZippers & the count is Ideology 88% to Electability 12%.

Edited by SrWoodchuck

This is just CNN trying to get Republicans to select another RINO so Obama will have a better chance of winning reelection. After all, CNN tells us all the time that only a RINO can defeat Obama.

This is just CNN trying to get Republicans to select another RINO so Obama will have a better chance of winning reelection. After all, CNN tells us all the time that only a RINO can defeat Obama.

Agree. The headline itself is absurd, and just typical CNN. How about the headline "Republicans want a winning candidate that supports their ideology," which is more appropriate when people haven't even campaigned, let alone even declared their candidacy.

I would like a pragmatic conservative (this is different than a white flag conservative) who is profoundly optimistic, will take big steps to reform the government to be smaller and more efficient...and most importantly understands that America's strength are its PEOPLE not it's government.

righteousmomma

shoutpollya and shoutpepper,

DITTO.

Just watching and hearing the people at Reagan's 100 Birthday bash restored my spirit that:"Yes, we can!" ;)

Republicans want winner over ideology in 2012...
is not quite the same as
...nearly seven out of ten Republicans say they would prefer a GOP presidential nominee who can top Obama in the next election, with 29 percent saying a nominee who agrees with them on every issue that matters the most is more important.

ZAKLY!!

BS Meter went off the dial

I would like a pragmatic conservative (this is different than a white flag conservative) who is profoundly optimistic, will take big steps to reform the government to be smaller and more efficient...and most importantly understands that America's strength are its PEOPLE not it's government.

In this election I'll take a (say)60% Republican that can win, over a (say) 80% Republican that can't. I really can't stand John McCain, but I supproted him after he won the nomination, Because i believed he was light years better than "The One". I really really REALLY don't like Mike Huckabee and will do everything I can to see him lose...and lose badly....but....know what I mean.

Gary Sinese for president!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Sorry, I already said that :P

Two votes for Gary so far! And I think I can bribe my husband into it too. :lol:

Gary Sinese for president!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Sorry, I already said that :P

Two votes for Gary so far! And I think I can bribe my husband into it too. :lol:

Oh, make it 5. Me and the missus are All IN.

Oh, make it 5. Me and the missus are All IN.

Woot! B)