Sarah Palin Turns Down Coveted Keynote Speaking Slot At CPAC Conference

EveningStar

sarah-palin-cpac-conference-turns-down-keynote-speech.html
ABC News:

Michael Falcone
February 3, 2011

After skipping the popular Conservative Political Action Conference for the past three years, Sarah Palin has once again turned down the invitation of CPAC officials to address the conference this year.

CPAC organizers invited Palin to deliver the closing-night keynote speech on Saturday Feb. 12, immediately following the announcement of the results of CPAC’s annual presidential straw poll, but after several days of negotiations, she declined. snip

While Palin will not be there in person, her political action committee, SarahPAC, is sponsoring a Diamond Reception on CPAC’s opening night -- Thursday, Feb. 10. snip

Official CPAC site

CPAC agenda (PDF)

Conservative Conference Beset By Accusations of Pro-Gay Takeover, Muslim Agenda

A. Palin is not running for President. If she was, she would tackle this thing head on. Since she is not, she is staying away from the associated controversy for now. That's my take.

B. I think the backlash against gay conservatives is a bad thing. I support Breitbart in his mission to formulate acceptance for the group. If we believe in individual rights, rather than collective rights I don't know how we can not support people of any persuasion if the majority of their positions are in line with conservative principles.

C. I also think that the right would be WAY ahead if we court moderate Muslims that are willing to work within the religion to combat extremists. Same group v. individual rights applies.

A. Palin is not running for President.

Tell that to Rush Limbaugh, Mark Levin, and many people on several other boards.

15dudrm.jpg

Ha! Nobody needs to know that yet. I like her too and love having her mess with the other teams heads. Let her keep the establishment off balance...it'll be good for all of us. ;)

A. Palin is not running for President. If she was, she would tackle this thing head on. Since she is not, she is staying away from the associated controversy for now. That's my take.

B. I think the backlash against gay conservatives is a bad thing. I support Breitbart in his mission to formulate acceptance for the group. If we believe in individual rights, rather than collective rights I don't know how we can not support people of any persuasion if the majority of their positions are in line with conservative principles.

C. I also think that the right would be WAY ahead if we court moderate Muslims that are willing to work within the religion to combat extremists. Same group v. individual rights applies.

shout pollyannaish

A. From the article she has turned them down the last three years. Hard for me to tell exactly what is on her mind. Could it be that she really hasn't made up her mind? I liked what Christie said to Cavuto today, "I am not ready." Could it be she feels that maybe she is not ready to make the decision?

B. I am waiting for the MSM to start beating her up for 'joining the anti-gay CPAC'. You know it is coming.

C. I think Christie tried to woo the moderates by nominating a muslim for the court in NJ. I also think he is being be up for doing it. At the moment. any muslim wooing is doomed to failure in my opinion.

A. From the article she has turned them down the last three years. Hard for me to tell exactly what is on her mind. Could it be that she really hasn't made up her mind? I liked what Christie said to Cavuto today, "I am not ready." Could it be she feels that maybe she is not ready to make the decision?

Yup, totally possible. My declarative statement is just my gut instinct based on the fact that she's had a complicated relationship with them in the past. BUT, she is a very smart woman, and the things she's been doing the last little bit don't strike me as pre-presidential run preparations. You just have to bite the bullet, face the complication face on and do whatever you can to woo them to your side if you are running. That's part of the job. Honestly, if you can't do that with your own team, you're going to have an even harder time wooing independents which you need to win. She knows that, which is why I took this as a clue. And I agree that she hasn't made up her mind yet and is keeping her options open. She is a bit of an enigma though, so we won't really know until we know. But I'm sticking by my way-too-sure prediction though...she isn't going to run next year. :lol:

B. I am waiting for the MSM to start beating her up for 'joining the anti-gay CPAC'. You know it is coming.

That would be typical. I have to say I'm glad that Breitbart did what he did. I'm becoming concerned that we are allowing the left to frame us into identity politics as being against one group or another. We've got to be really careful to not let that happen or we are going to struggle. The left wants us to be framed as the party of old, white, straight guys. I want us to be framed as the party who protects individual freedom and liberty. That is going to take some work, some thought and some careful work rather than reactionary behavior. One thing to remember is that right now, some of Palin's biggest supporters are ex Hillary supporters in the form of a gay group from Chicago. How's that for confusing?

C. I think Christie tried to woo the moderates by nominating a muslim for the court in NJ. I also think he is being be up for doing it. At the moment. any muslim wooing is doomed to failure in my opinion.

I haven't read enough about it to know why he did it...but I do know that he is getting beat up about it. My personal response it out on it. I don't automatically count someone out because they are Muslim. I count someone out because of their philosophy. So I'm open to this at this point. We'll see though because as far as I'm concerned the jury is still out. I will say this: If he tries it once and it works well...good for him. If he tries it once and it doesn't work, everyone is entitled to a mistake. If he tries it once, it doesn't work and he tries it again...I will be very concerned that Political correctness has trumped good sense and will have to rethink my support of him as a future Presidential candidate.