Census estimates show big gains for US minorities

Geee

census-estimates-show-big-gains-us-minorities
Washington Examiner:

U.S. racial minorities accounted for roughly 85 percent of the nation's population growth over the last decade — one of the largest shares ever — with Hispanics accounting for much of the gain in many of the states picking up new House seats.

Preliminary census estimates also suggest the number of multiracial Americans jumped roughly 20 percent since 2000, to over 5 million.

The findings, based on fresh government survey data, offer a glimpse into 2010 census results that are being released on a state-by-state basis beginning this week. New Jersey, Mississippi, Virginia and Louisiana are the first to receive the census redistricting data, which will be used in the often contentious process of redrawing political districts based on population and racial makeup.

"There are going to be a lot of additional Hispanic officials elected when redistricting is done," said E. Mark Braden, a former chief counsel to the Republican National Committee who now advises state governments on redistricting. "But folks in power don't give up control that easily — there will be tension between the ins and outs."

Arkansas, Indiana, Iowa and Maryland are among the states scheduled to receive their data next week. By law, all states must receive their redistricting data by April 1.snip

We ate at a new Hungarian-Romanian restaurant around here for lunch today. They are recent immigrants to this country and are already adding value to their community. That is all I am saying ;)

We ate at a new Hungarian-Romanian restaurant around here for lunch today. They are recent immigrants to this country and are already adding value to their community. That is all I am saying ;)

Bet they came here legally. That is all I am saying