Feds seize sports websites before Super Bowl

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
48692.html
Politico:

The federal government has seized the Web addresses of 10 websites that allegedly live stream sporting and pay-per-view events online, shutting them down just days before one of the biggest televised sporting events of the year: the Super Bowl.

The U. S. Attorney’s Office of the Southern District of New York, working in conjunction with Immigration and Customs Enforcement, seized the Web addresses Tuesday. The seizure affidavit was unsealed Wednesday.

The websites, which include channelsurfing.net and Spain-based rojadirecta.org, were said to illegally provide access to content from the major professional sports organizations, namely the National Football League, National Basketball Association and the National Hockey League. The sites do not host the pirated sporting content themselves, but instead provide links to other websites where people can access it illegally.

Government officials argue that the sites are not only distributing pirated content illegally, but in the process, are also denting the revenues of the professional sports leagues and broadcasters as well as negatively impacting viewers.

“The illegal streaming of professional sporting events over the Internet deals a financial body blow to the leagues and broadcasters, who are forced to pass their losses off to fans by raising prices for tickets and pay-per-view events,” said Preet Bharara, U.S. Attorney in Manhattan. “With the Super Bowl just days away, the seizures of these infringing websites reaffirm our commitment to working with our law enforcement partners to protect copyrighted material and put the people who steal it out of business.”
________

I understand clamping down on illegal streaming, but at the same time it just shows how much catching up the NFL and other sports organizations have to do. And why is ICE involved? :huh:

And why is ICE involved? :huh:

ICE has a lot more leeway in how they operate compared to other federal agencies such as the FBI. ICE can often do things on the spur of the moment that the FBI could not do without a mile long warrant.

Well, I wasn't planning on betting this year anyway. Last year, I knew the Saints had it. Call it gut or whatever, but I knew the Colts were going down.

This year, though I'm leaning toward the Packers, it's up for grabs, IMHO. Not worth betting on unless you have some very good information.

Pack 24-Steelers 14

I do think that copyrights and ownership need to be protected. In this case, I believe these actions are reasonable.