Valerie Jarrett to uniformed general: More wine, garçon!

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
valerie-jarrett-to-uniformed-general-more-wine-garcon
Daily Caller:

In Washington, bigwigs can misspeak and misstep a million times without drawing attention. And then there are the seemingly harmless moments that stick to a person like super glue: Joe Wilson barking “You lie!”; Jesse Jackson mumbling into a hot mic that he wants to castrate Barack Obama; Dan Quayle trying to spell things.

Like coal crushed into diamonds by the pressure of a million eyeballs, such moments are forever.

During an exclusive dinner hosted Monday by the Alfalfa Club, Obama adviser Valerie Jarret had just such a moment. And were it not for an irritated tipster, Jarret might have walked away from the dinner unblemished.

According to our tipster, Jarrett was seated at the head table along with several other big-name politicians and a handful of high-ranking military officials. As an officer sporting several stars walked past Jarrett, she signaled for his attention and said, “I’d like another glass of wine.”

Garçon!

White House economic adviser Austan Goolsbee, who was seated next to Jarret, began “cracking up nervously,” our tipster said, but no one pointed out to Jarrett that the man sporting a chestful of medals was not her waiter.

“The guy dutifully went up and got her a glass of wine, and then came back and gave it to her and took a seat at the table,” our tipster said. “Everyone is in tuxedos and gowns at this thing, but the military people are in full dress uniform.”

“There was no shortage of waiters either,” the tipster added.
________

Sounds like she might have already had one too many. Or maybe it was just her way of communicating with "the little people..."

But but but we love our military. Yeah, gotcha. One can only imagine what they are saying out of the hearing of would be tipsters.

Didn't the Clintons have military personnel running around catering during their Inauguration party at the White House back in '92? Something about the RATS and the military just never seems to work...

I had missed this "item" until now.

It makes me so angry! Just like when Barbara Boxer "peed" all over the General.

The blend of ignorance and arrogance of these LIBS is amazing.

But I think it's great that he did bring her a glass of wine and then sat down at the table. Totally rose above her ignorance.

Jake Tapper's column adds to the story.

Jake

A faux pas in front of a crowded room – even an off-the-record one – can be cruel.

At a black tie event over the weekend, White House senior adviser Valerie Jarrett mistook the vice chief of staff of the Army for a waiter and asked him to get her a drink. She was, sources said, mortified when she later realized her mistake.

Jarrett, a senior advisor and assistant to the president for public engagement and intergovernmental affairs, was attending the annual Alfalfa Club dinner and was seated at the head table with other luminaries such as White House chief of staff Bill Daley, Supreme Court justices John Roberts and Anthony Kennedy, former Vice President Dick Cheney, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen, the German and British ambassadors and Gen. Peter Chiarelli, the vice chief of staff.

The Daily Caller’s Mike Riggs first reported that Jarrett had mistaken an unnamed general for a waiter.

Through the process of elimination – there were only four military officials at the head table – ABC News determined that the unnamed general was Chiarelli.

One attendee said that the head table was long with very little space behind those seated at it. Most of those bustling behind were waiters.

Cue Chiarelli, walking by in his dress uniform – with a chest full of medals and four stars on each sleeve.

Jarrett did not get a good look at him, not the least of reasons for which was she wasn’t wearing her glasses. She mistook him for wait staff.

“Could I please get another glass of wine?” she asked.

Chiarelli, who previously served as commander of the multi-national corps—Iraq, turned around.

Cue Jarrett, realizing her mistake: “Oh my God, I’m so sorry!”

“She was mortified,” said someone at the table.

But Chiarelli laughed about it and the tension was relieved, attendees said.

Chiarelli later brought her a glass of wine as a joke.

A source close to the general told us “Gen. Chiarelli is a gentleman, he is a gentleman.”

Chiarelli was commissioned a second lieutenant of armor in September 1972 and has commanded at every level from platoon to corps.

Jarrett later sent the general a handwritten note saying the next time they see each other she will serve him a drink.

Chiarelli invited her to dinner. They have a date set in March.

250px-GEN_Peter_W_Chiarelli.jpg

Yeah, he looks like a waiter. :)