WSJ rips Gingrich [a new one] for defending ethanol subsidies

Pepper

newt-cal.jpg

wsj-rips-gingrich-for-defending-ethanol-subsidies
HotAir:

WSJ rips Gingrich for defending ethanol subsidies

January 31 2011

by Ed Morrissey

Newt Gingrich has been touring Iowa lately, attempting to generate interest in a run for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination, and he’s been going the traditional route of defending farm subsidies, especially for ethanol. Gingrich blasted the media for its skeptical approach to ethanol subsidies, especially the Wall Street Journal, saying that “big urban newspapers want to kill it because it’s working,” and then questioned the WSJ’s values. The editors have responded in an unsigned editorial titled “Professor Cornpone,” (LINK TO WSJ)

HOTAIR Morrissey:

snip

We have an opportunity to reform government, perhaps the greatest such political opening in almost a century. Farm subsidies in general have to be on the table, but that’s especially true for ethanol and corn in particular. Ethanol has simply proven to be too costly, too difficult to transport, and not an effective enough substitute for gasoline to be practical or cost-effective. Subsidies only hide that fact from consumers at the gas pumps and the showrooms, but the cost to taxpayers for the years of subsidies demonstrate the decades-long failure. Even Al Gore admits ethanol is a bust, for Pete’s sake.

Republicans don’t need a presidential candidate who wants to conduct business as usual by buying farm votes with promises of our money. We need a candidate who recognizes the historical moment for change, rather than the opportunity to sell more of the same.

WSJ:

snip

"Here’s how he put in Des Moines, with that special Gingrich nuance: “The morning that I see the folks who are worried about ‘food versus fuel’ worry about the cost of diesel fuel, worry about the cost of commodities on the world market, worry about the inflation the Federal Reserve is building into our system, all of which is going to show up as higher prices, worry about the inefficiencies of big corporations that manufacture and process food products—the morning they do that, I’ll take them seriously.”

snip

- - - - -

Further proof that being perceived as intelligent does not mean said person possesses common sense.

Perfect government program:

Ethanol subsidies take food off the table, ruins all types of engine fuel lines, lowers gas mileage, it takes more energy to convert than it delivers and costs more.

Per Beck, 40% of corn is devoted to ethanol production.

What's not to like?

The use of ethanol for fuel has had a damaging impact on food markets, especially in poorer countries. In the United States, ethanol is mostly made from yellow corn, and as the market boomed for alternative fuel, yellow corn went up in price. Many farmers saw the potential to make more money, and switched from white corn to yellow corn. White corn is the main ingredient of tortillas in Mexico, and as the supply dropped, the price doubled, making the base of most Mexican foods unaffordable.

Pepper!

Great (edit) to the headline... :lmfao:

The article and your comments are right on. However the picture might be a little off.

Unlike a newt which legend has it "can take the heat" of a fire... Gingrich is more of a chameleon.

Gingrich adapts to whatever political setting in which he finds himself... and attempts to change his colors for the politically expedient moment of the day.

Newt or Chameleon?

Newt.gif

Karma Chameleon

Is there loving in your eyes all the way.

If I listened to your lies would you say

I'm a man (a man) without conviction,

I'm a man (a man) who doesn't know

how to sell (to sell) a contradiction.

You come and go, you come and go.

Karma karma karma karma karma chameleon,

you come and go, you come and go.

Loving would be easy if your colors were like my dreams,

red gold and green, red gold and green.

Didn't hear your wicked words every day

and you used to be so sweet, I heard you say

that my love (my love) was an addiction.

When we cling (we cling) our love is strong.

When you go (you go) you're gone forever.

You string along, you string along.

Karma karma karma karma karma chameleon,

you come and go, you come and go.

Loving would be easy if your colors were like my dreams,

red gold and green, red gold and green.snip

Sanguine! Years of study led to that observation.

:rolleyes:

NCTexan! Spot on.

(or are the spots off?)

Who knows, he's a chameleon.

Is this Newt's 'Sista Soulja' moment for the cameras? :blink:

OMG, I'm running out there right now, in the driving rain, to heck with the tornado alerts, to sign up as a volunteer for Gingrich in '12 right now!

His internal polls must not look too good in Iowa if he's playing the ethanol card a year before the caucus.

OMG, I'm running out there right now, in the driving rain, to heck with the tornado alerts, to sign up as a volunteer for Gingrich in '12 right now!

Looks like Newt just latched on to another volunteer.

Newt Tweet number 739 of the day: "This ethanol thing is starting to work!"

Professor Cornpone will be pleased!

I wonder how much he's going to be talking about ethanol if(and that's a huge IF) he survives Iowa. I'm sure the voters in New Hampshire and South Carolina could care less about subsidies for corn farmers. That might hurt Tom Harkin's feelings, but well, too bad...

I wonder how much he's going to be talking about ethanol if(and that's a huge IF) he survives Iowa. I'm sure the voters in New Hampshire and South Carolina could care less about subsidies for corn farmers. That might hurt Tom Harkin's feelings, but well, too bad...

Carson-Karnak.jpg

Karnak says, "Maple Syrup Subsidies for NH.... Shrimp and Grits Subsidies for SC."