The Cold Truth About Electric Cars

pollyannaish

AR2011012706170.html
Washington Post:

Count me among the many thousands of Washington area residents who spent Wednesday night stuck in traffic as a snowstorm sowed chaos all around us. Being car-bound in sub-freezing weather for six hours can make a guy think. I counted my blessings. The situation could have been worse, I realized: My fellow commuters and I could have been trying to make it home in electric cars, like the ones President Obama is constantly promoting, most recently in his State of the Union address.

It is a basic fact of physical science that batteries run down more quickly in cold weather than they do in warm weather, and the batteries employed by vehicles such as the Nissan Leaf or the Chevy Volt are no exception.

The exact loss of power these cars would suffer is a matter of debate, partly because no one has much real-world experience to draw on. But there would be some loss. Running the heater to stay warm, or the car radio to stay informed, would drain the battery further.

snip

Politicians can be such idiots. They seem to miss all the potential downsides to things like this. Electric cars are stupid on so many levels. I believe that the Volt/Leaf whatever are going to eventually become the automotive representation of the Obama administration the way the Pinto is the automotive representation of the Carter Administration.

I believe that the Volt/Leaf whatever are going to eventually become the automotive representation of the Obama administration the way the Pinto is the automotive representation of the Carter Administration.

Ouch

If your Volt runs out of power, you just rub it on your hair like a balloon to build the charge back up.

:lol:

I think the only real solution is this:

the-flintstones-car_100332443_m.jpg

Solves gas, diabetes, heart, overweight ,mideast power ,pollution,high bloodpressure....the perfect mode of transportation.

If your Volt runs out of power, you just rub it on your hair like a balloon to build the charge back up.

Gosh, hope there are no cameras around should I attempt this feat.

Who am I kidding, I never have good hair days.

:D