Hawaii Gov. Abercrombie's Health Director Quits

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
main7288553.shtml
CBS News:

(AP) HONOLULU - Interim Hawaii Health Director Dr. Neal Palafox abruptly quit Wednesday, the first of new Gov. Neil Abercrombie's Cabinet appointees to leave.

The reason for Palafox's resignation was a mystery, and he wouldn't say whether he was asked to resign.

Abercrombie's office said Palafox asked the Democratic governor to withdraw his nomination.

"Gov. Abercrombie accepted Dr. Palafox's request and will make a new appointment for the Health Director as soon as possible," spokeswoman Donalyn Dela Cruz said in a statement.

The Attorney General's office wouldn't comment on whether it's investigating Palafox, said Joshua Wisch, special assistant to the attorney general.

Palafox, 58, said he was surprised when he heard TV news reports citing anonymous sources claiming he was under investigation for medical billing fraud.

"I get handed these e-mails about investigations and so forth, but I have no clue. I'm lost," Palafox said.

University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine Dean Jerris Hedges said the school is unaware of any pending investigation. Hedges said Palafox will return to his job at the school, where he was chairman of the Department of Family Medicine before his nomination.
________

Maybe he just got fed up with the Governor's birth certificate bs?