The Truth About 'Investments'

Geee

article.php?id=41431
Human Events:

“Don’t Harsh My Recovery.” So said a tweet I got in response to an analysis I did on America's continuing economic non-recovery on my radio show this week. The tweet went on to say, "I want to believe the economy is recovering, Roger, if I believe it will."

"Think and grow rich" might work for an individual envisioning business success, but it is delusional as national economic policy. We can't wish or will the country to prosperity, or recover from a recession caused by too much debt by incurring more debt.

"Together We Thrive" was not only inappropriate as a theme for a memorial to the victims of the Tucson shooter, it is the economic policy of a collective society, not of a free one.

"When the truth hurts, lie to me" might help you cope with interpersonal relationships, but it doesn't work in economics. The truth about the American economy hurts, and when it does, too many Americans want to be lied to.

Specifically, too many Americans want to believe that government "investments" will create jobs. Polls show majorities favoring more government spending on infrastructure and schools. The public assumption appears to be that such spending will build new roads, bridges, and broadband, and fix our failing K-12 government school system. That assumption is false.snip

1--Take your check book

2--Write yourself a check

3--Deposit it in your own account

Is this investment?

Now:

1--Take someone else's checkbook

2--Write yourself a check and forge the owner's signature

Is this investment?

No, but it is standard government operation..and when they do it, it's legal.

1--Take your check book

Is this investment?

Now:

Is this investment?

Ahhh, but you miss the stimulative effect of option 2 at least in the Government's case. That money is just sitting there doing nothing. Then they must hire someone to steal your check, forge the signature and figure out whose account to put it into. This takes about 20% overhead and requires the hiring for 10'000's of union workers... thus stimulating at least part of the economy...

1--Take your check book

Is this investment?

Now:

Is this investment?

Ahhh, but you miss the stimulative effect of option 2 at least in the Government's case. That money is just sitting there doing nothing. Then they must hire someone to steal your check, forge the signature and figure out whose account to put it into. This takes about 20% overhead and requires the hiring for 10'000's of union workers... thus stimulating at least part of the economy...

And, the really, really cool part is that most of us will never have to pay it back - oh no, we can and will pass it on to our kids and grandkids. Brilliant!

The only drawback is that it's a form of indentured servitude and is a mortgage on their futures, but as long as they lower their expectations, they should be ok with it, right?

1--Take your check book

Is this investment?

Now:

Is this investment?

And, the really, really cool part is that most of us will never have to pay it back - oh no, we can and will pass it on to our kids and grandkids. Brilliant!

The only drawback is that it's a form of indentured servitude and is a mortgage on their futures, but as long as they lower their expectations, they should be ok with it, right?

hmmm, I know there is a flaw there but I'm not smart enough to figure it out.

That being the case, it's kinda like the economy of criminals.

Do you realize where we would be if we had NO criminals?

No lawyers, no judges, no prison guards, no breeding grounds for legislators and "elected" officials.

The whole nation would collapse.

Therefore, the only rational conclusion is that we need more Criminals.