Not a Winning Speech

Geee

not-winning-speech_537303.html
Weekly Standard:

Less than three months after voters across the country expressed their utter disdain for Washington and an overreaching government, Barack Obama’s second State of the Union address, and the mindless symbolism surrounding it, validated their judgment and demonstrated that many in the political class, beginning and ending with the president himself, learned nothing from that election.

It began even before the speech. Democrats and Republicans announced to great fanfare that they would sit with their political opponents. It was a quintessential Washington display – it was completely meaningless, editorial boards and Washington chin-strokers loved it, and politicians could congratulate one another on their own courage. At least it didn’t cost any money.

The theme of the president’s address was “Winning the Future” – a phrase as meaningless now as when it was the title of a book by Newt Gingrich in 2005. Where his speech wasn’t inscrutable, it was banal.

*We will move forward together, or not at all – for the challenges we face are bigger than party, and bigger than politics.

*The future is ours to win. But to get there, we can’t just stand still.

*So now is the time to act.

*We should have no illusions about the work ahead of us.

And where it wasn’t banal, his speech was filled with the kind of important-sounding goals in every State of the Union that will be forgotten before the week’s end - if they haven’t been already.snip

There were, however, real moments of clarity. In something of a surprise, given the eagerness of the White House to reposition the president as a centrist, Obama spent much of his speech defending the activist government he has grown over the past two years, calling repeatedly for continued “investment” from the public sector.

I'll take the pats on the back now for telling all of you that Obambi was incapable of pulling a Clinton move. The GOP has the White House there for the taking next year, if they can find the right candidate.

Pompous Peggy Noonan predicted this speech would be "unusually good." I wonder what she's saying now.

I've been kind of tone deaf to Peggy Noonan since King Bubba was in the Oval Office(I figured out then that she was deranged), so what was her latest hallucination?

Pompous Peggy Noonan predicted this speech would be "unusually good." I wonder what she's saying now.

I have said for many years that Peggy Noonan is an opportunist. She will kiss up to whoever pays to listen to her.