Dozens Dead In Moscow Airport Bomb Attack

Pepper

explosion-at-moscow-airport-20110124-ncx_11561024
Fox News:

Dozens Dead In Moscow Airport Bomb Attack

By NewsCore - An apparent suicide bombing at Moscow airport Monday killed 31 people and wounded more than 130 others, Interfax news agency reported. The Associated Press put the number at 23.

snip breaking story.

righteousmomma

Horrible!

Thanks for the airport link, pepper.

Moscow has come a long way in modernizing since we were there in '99 but that does not seem to have an effect on terrorism. The authorities are now looking for 3 suspects.

Los Angeles Times article :

http://tinyurl.com/4aq4att

(From what I could gather from the link Air France uses Sheremetyevo which I guess is the one we flew in and out of and not Domodedovsky)

Domodedovo is for in-country flights. Sheremetyevo, for international.

From an article on BBC:

"The airport is used by numerous international carriers including BA and BMI, which flies four times daily between London and Moscow. Domodedovo is connected to the centre of the capital by a high-speed train and is the airport of choice for Moscow's large expatriate population."

(Source)

righteousmomma

According to pepper's link Sheremetyevo is still used by Air France but most left that airport for Domodedovsky.

No reason to say this except that I like the loooong names. Reminds me how NCT kept seeing this one "city" posted all through the Moscow metro. Our guide told him it was "exit". :wub::P

From an article on BBC:

"The airport is used by numerous international carriers including BA and BMI, which flies four times daily between London and Moscow. Domodedovo is connected to the centre of the capital by a high-speed train and is the airport of choice for Moscow's large expatriate population."

(Source)

Obviously lots of changes since I was there -- a high speed train even. Wow.

From an article on BBC:

(Source)

How long ago?

According to pepper's link Sheremetyevo is still used by Air France but most left that airport for Domodedovsky.

No reason to say this except that I like the loooong names. Reminds me how NCT kept seeing this one "city" posted all through the Moscow metro. Our guide told him it was "exit". :wub::P

That reminds me of a friend who moved to Brussels and had to go up to Hamburg to pick up his car that was shipped over from the U.S. As he navigated the autobahn back to Brussels he couldn't understand why a "city" as big as AUSFART wasn't even on his map! :lol:

From an article on BBC:

(Source)

How long ago?

We left in '89. It doesn't seem possible it was that long ago in some ways. I haven't been back since then, although Mr.n. has.

That reminds me of a friend who moved to Brussels and had to go up to Hamburg to pick up his car that was shipped over from the U.S. As he navigated the autobahn back to Brussels he couldn't understand why a "city" as big as AUSFART wasn't even on his map! :lol:

I googled AUSFART. From the Urban Dictionary:

Biggest city in Germany. Almost every Autobahn exit directs to it.

LOL

I googled AUSFART. From the Urban Dictionary:

Biggest city in Germany. Almost every Autobahn exit directs to it.

LOL

Yup. That's what our friend thought. He couldn't figure it out!