Systematic assassinations not part of our politics

Geee

systematic-assassinations-not-part-our-politics
Washington Examiner:

Emergency personnel move Giffords after she was shot in the head outside a shopping center in Tucson, Ariz. on Saturday, Jan. 8, 2011. (AP Photo/James Palka)
The steam seems to be going out of the move to "deftly pin this" -- the shooting of Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and 13 others -- "on the Tea Partiers," as one unidentified senior Democratic operative put it to Politico.
It has become obvious that the murderer was crazy, the follower of no political movement, motivated only by the bizarre ideas ricocheting through his head.

If any blame attaches to others, it is to authorities who had notice of his madness and did not do enough to confine him or prevent him from buying a gun. The Pima County sheriff, who was quick to suggest the attack was among the "consequences" of Republican rhetoric, also reported that the shooter's bizarre behavior was brought to the attention of authorities.

Arizona reportedly gives authorities more leeway than most states to put such an individual under restraint or at least prevent him from buying a gun. Perhaps there is some good reason this was not done; but at least there are questions that need to be asked.

Some broader perspective may be in order. The last congressman to be attacked by a gunman was California Rep. Leo Ryan, murdered at the Jonestown massacre in Guyana in 1978, 32 years ago.

Giffords' "Congress on Your Corner" event was an effort to make herself available to constituents -- a commendable thing, especially since many Democratic congressmen stopped making public appearances after they got negative feedback in summer 2009 town hall meetings.

How many times have member of Congress made announced appearances, without security personnel, over the past 32 years? How many thousands? Tens of thousands?snip

Vivid political rhetoric is always in season, and has been for all the years of our republic. And military metaphors are part of the language of our politics, metaphors that no serious person takes literally. We should not let it be otherwise, even as we wish for the full recovery of Gabby Giffords and the others stricken and mourn those lost.

Michael Barone is a treasure. Thanks for posting this Geee.

I think the left is starting to realize they overreacted. I've seen a huge shift in the way this is being talked about between Sunday and today. It still needs to go further, but its a start.

Vivid political rhetoric is always in season, and has been for all the years of our republic. And military metaphors are part of the language of our politics, metaphors that no serious person takes literally. We should not let it be otherwise, even as we wish for the full recovery of Gabby Giffords and the others stricken and mourn those lost.

I think the left is starting to realize they overreacted. I've seen a huge shift in the way this is being talked about between Sunday and today. It still needs to go further, but its a start.

I find it a bit amusing that the Clintons are joining the leftwing chorus after the rest of the RATS are backing down from their own stupid rants. :lmfao:

I find it a bit amusing that the Clintons are joining the leftwing chorus after the rest of the RATS are backing down from their own stupid rants. :lmfao:

I noticed that. It shook up my belief that the Clinton's are politically savvy which is something I've always given him credit for. If they were, they'd go counter to their party on this and remain acceptable to the middle. It will be interesting to see what happens.