New Sheriff In Town: Clarence Dupnik is not the anti-Joe Arpaio.

EveningStar

Slate:

Christopher Beam

January 10, 2011

...But a look through Dupnik's past reveals a much more complex figure than his current portrayal as a liberal Democratic crusader. Dupnik first joined the Tucson Police Department in 1958, was appointed sheriff of Pima County in 1980, and has won re-election ever since. Perpetually over-tasked and under-resourced, Dupnik's force has the near-impossible job of dealing with not just the usual case load, but also the continuous flow of illegal immigrants from Mexico. In 1981, Dupnik sent a message to all residents: Arm yourselves...

Arpaio and Dupnik disagree over whether local law enforcement should be responsible for fighting illegal immigration. But their differences aren't as stark as you'd think. After all, you don't get re-elected sheriff seven times by being soft on "illegals" (Dupnik's term). In 2007, Dupnik raised the hackles of immigration activists when he proposed to have federal agents work alongside his own border crimes unit...

Dupnik is the Pima County Dunce. Arpaio just ripped him to shreds on O'Reilly, and what's even better, he did it calmly and politely. This whole "never let a crisis go to waste" is blowing up in the RATS faces...

EveningStarshout, interesting facts listed . . . but I must still consider the [liberal] source of those facts. Do you think this an "in his defense" type article?

EveningStarshout, interesting facts listed . . . but I must still consider the [liberal] source of those facts. Do you think this an "in his defense" type article?

I'm not EveningStar, but yes!

Christopher Beam, author of this article for Slate:

"Crime" reporter for Slate online.

Graduate [2006] of Columbia University, where he worked on the Columbia Daily Spectator & the Blue & White.

Frequent guest on Air America [the radio station dubbed his frequent appearances, "Beam Me Up"] and the Colbert Report.

Son of Boston Globe columnist, Alex Beam.

Slate is trying to "ease the vitriol" by making Dupnik an honorary conservative. This sow's ear is not a silk purse.

The Sheriff needs to keep quiet. He is not only polluting the jury pool is may be providing a defense arguement for the defense. I really do not think that they will try this in Arizona. The defense may ask for a change of venue.

The Sheriff needs to keep quiet. He is not only polluting the jury pool is may be providing the defense an arguement.

Ernst! He's certainly providing Loughner's attorney, Ms. "Death Penalty" Clarke, a wide latitude to drag the perceived "extreme right conservative vitriol," through a long and contentious trial. They already speculate that Loughner cannot recieve a fair trial in Arizona; due mostly to the killing of the Federal Judge & the fact that almost all jurists, [and possibly a few prosecutors] may consider recusing themselves, as people that knew the judge/victim, and may be biased.

Loughner had been living at a motel, but had recently been allowed back into his parents home. He had been there for only a day or two & his father saw him with a black bag & asked him what was in the bag......he ran out into the desert and wasn't seen again until the shooting. They are still looking for the bag, and whatever evidence may be inside.