Tokyo greenlights emergency defense buildup

ErnstBlofeld

ErnstBlofeld
1.asp
East-Asia-Intel.com:

Japan's government on Dec. 17 approved guidelines for building up its military forces in the face of growing threats from China and North Korea.

A summary of the program guidelines states that a "global shift in the balance of power has been brought about by the rise of emerging powers and relative change in the U.S. influence," a reference to China's growing military.
"Military modernization by China and its insufficient transparency are of concern for the regional and global community," the summary states.

Additionally, the Japanese defense leaders stated that North Korea's nuclear and missile threats "are immediate and grave destabilizing factors to the regional security."

The guidelines also warn that the threat to Japan posed by "gray area" incidents is increasing. It defines such incidents as "confrontations over territory, sovereignty and economic interests which have not escalated into wars."

One example is Japan's recent confrontation with China over the Senkaku Islands, where a Chinese fishing boat rammed a Japanese coast guard vessel, setting off a diplomatic row that included threats from China and a cutoff of exports of Chinese rare-earth minerals used in high-tech manufacturing.

snip

ErnstBlofeld

Meanwhile, in the USA we cut $78 billion from our defense. Fun.

Blame it on the Tea Party. They wanted cuts in government spending and they are getting what they wished for. I want more spending for Defense.I have always wanted increases in Defense.

Blame it on the Tea Party. They wanted cuts in government spending and they are getting what they wished for. I want more spending for Defense.I have always wanted increases in Defense.

Nah. The cuts were underway long before January. In fact, it has been going on for years. At least two....

ErnstBlofeld

Nah. The cuts were underway long before January. In fact, it has been going on for years. At least two....

The Tea Party maybe Hawkish on Defense but they want at the same time put Defense spending on the chopping block. They cannot have their cake and eat it.