Listen Up, Perfesser Boehner

NCTexan

constitution.jpgWSJ:

Listen Up, Perfesser Boehner

The Washington Post don't cotton to no dang fool interlectuals and that fancy constitution o' theirs!

By JAMES TARANTO

Yesterday's reading of the Constitution on the House floor was a lovely bit of symbolism--and all the lovelier for the bizarre and revealing reactions it has prompted among some on the left, especially at the Washington Post. First up, and much commented upon, was wunderkind Ezra Klein, who wrote an essay titled "The Constitution Is Very Important":

The next part of the Constitution, the middle, is considered by many people to be the main most important part. However, there are other people who disagree with this interpretation, which has led to controversy and conflict. I have to say that I personally side with the people who think it is the most important, because the middle is where the main crux of the Constitution happens. For example, e.g., the middle is the part where we find the Woman's Right to Choose and the Miranda part, which is a critical issue still today. In the middle you will also various parts about African-Americans, and especially journalism.

Just kidding--that was the Iowahawk parody. Klein's actual essay had an even funnier title: "Yes, the Constitution Is Binding." The young man hitherto best known as the founder of JournoList was trying to clarify comments he had made on MSNBC in response to a question about the planned congressional reading. Here's what he said, in response to the question, "Is this a gimmick?":

Yes, it's a gimmick, I mean [snorts], you could say two things about it. One is that it has no binding power on anything. And then two, issue of the Constitution is not that people don't read the text and think they're following. The issue with the Constitution is that the text is confusing because it was written more than 100 years ago, and what people believe it says differs from person to person and differs depending on what to get done. So I wouldn't expect too much coming out of this.snip

You have to go to the whole article and read the whole thing! Don't miss his story further down the column about the Mississippi laywer, Chocwe Lamumba "shooting himself in the foot" with an unfortunate metaphor. :lmfao:

:lmfao: It is hard to beat Iowahawk's piece, which includes an essay contest submission.

Thank you, NCTexan!

SaveLiberty!

Thanks for the link to the full piece by IowaHawk! I love the footnotes supporting this well thought out piece.

And this is, in at least five hundred words, not including the foot notes, what the Constitution means to me.

Footnotes

1.http://www.wikipedia.com

2. Law and Order, NBC-TV