Dependence Day

Sanguine

Dependence-Day-6753
The New Criterion:

If I am pessimistic about the future of liberty, it is because I am pessimistic about the strength of the English-speaking nations, which have, in profound ways, surrendered to forces at odds with their inheritance. “Declinism” is in the air, but some of us apocalyptic types are way beyond that. The United States is facing nothing so amiable and genteel as Continental-style “decline,” but something more like sliding off a cliff.

snip
A baited banker thus desponds,
From his own hand foresees his fall,
They have his soul, who have his bonds;
’Tis like the writing on the wall.
snip

In our time, to be born a citizen of the United States is to win first prize in the lottery of life, and, as Britons did, too many Americans assume it will always be so. Do you think the laws of God will be suspended in favor of America because you were born in it? Great convulsions lie ahead, and at the end of it we may be in a post-Anglosphere world.

Steyn ping!

The way things are going in Britain, it would make more sense to remove the word “balls.”

Sanguine! What a depressing but powerful article. You need to add Mark Steyn somewhere in the title.

Pepper - I put it in "Dependence Day Steyn - On the erosion of personal liberty", but it's a bit hard to interpret. Can you fix the title and add "Mark" before Steyn?

Thanks,

Pollyannaish or Valin or Rheo or Clearvision can.

Pepper - I put it in "Dependence Day Steyn - On the erosion of personal liberty", but it's a bit hard to interpret. Can you fix the title and add "Mark" before Steyn?

Thanks,