Ailing Rezko could testify in Blagojevich retrial

Geee

rezko-blagojevich-testify-prosecutors-trial.html
Chicago Sun-Times:

As a pale, thin-looking Tony Rezko admitted Thursday his two-plus years in jail is wearing on him, the convicted businessman became a possible factor in former Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s April retrial.

Rezko’s January sentencing was postponed to leave open the possibility that the onetime powerful political fund-raiser could testify in either Blagojevich’s trial or that of Downstate businessmen William Cellini, Rezko’s lawyer said. However, prosecutors did not say whether they would tap Rezko.

Meanwhile, Rezko, who spoke briefly at a federal court hearing Thursday, revealed for the first time where he’s being housed — about 150 miles away inside the Dodge County, Wis., lock-up.

“These have been very tough times. ... I’ve not seen the outside,’’ Rezko told U.S. District Judge Amy St. Eve. “I have no contact with my family since I’ve been moved to Dodge.’’

A Dodge County jail official said Rezko was moved to the facility Dec. 16, 2008.

The move came after Rezko began cooperating with prosecutors and after his attorneys complained about the conditions he faced in solitary confinement at the downtown Metropolitan Correctional Center.

Rezko, formerly a top adviser to Blagojevich as well as a political fund-raiser to now-President Obama, was convicted of fraud and corruption under Blagojevich in June 2008. He voluntarily started serving jail time, even though he hadn’t been officially sentenced.snip