Artichoke-Eating Instructions and Electrolysis for Convicted Killer among ‘Most Ridiculous Lawsuits of 2010’

Geee

artichoke-eating-instructions-and-electr
CNSnews:

(CNSNews.com) – A lawsuit against a restaurant for failing to offer artichoke-eating instructions and a convicted killer’s lawsuit to receive electrolysis as part of a state-funded sex change are among the top five Most Ridiculous Lawsuits of 2010 compiled by the U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform.

The Faces of Lawsuit Abuse campaign was launched by ILR to raise public awareness of the impact that abusive lawsuits have on small businesses, communities, and individuals. Small business account for 64 percent of new jobs in the economy, and they paid $105.4 billion in tort liability costs in 2008.

“While many of these lawsuits are humorous and others quite troubling, the damage inflicted by abusive litigation is very real,” said ILR President Lisa Rickard. “More litigation is something we can ill afford in this troubled economy that desperately needs more jobs, not more lawsuits.”

Number five on the list was the lawsuit filed by Dr. Arturo Carvjal, a doctor with a family practice in Hollywood, who sued Houston’s Restaurant because he was sent to the hospital with severe abdominal pain and discomfort after eating an entire artichoke.

Dr. Carvjal ordered grilled artichokes, and according to a copy of the court document, the waiter did not ask him if he knew how to eat them and did not explain that he shouldn’t eat the outer leaves.

pollyannaish

Well. There are some things you eat only once.

Bay Leaves, chicken bones and the outer artichoke leaves come to mind. :blink:

"It takes a sophisticated diner to be familiar with the artichoke," says Carvajal's lawyer, Marc R. Ginsberg. "People might think that as a doctor, he'd know how to eat one. But he was thinking it was like a food he might have eaten in his native Cuba, where you eat everything on the plate."

Sure, play the Refugee Card.

And sure, there's probably a YouTube video of the Dr. someplace eating the entire shoulder, pork and all, when he orders pernil or chicken bones in his pollo asado.

I'll never forget my first attempt at eating a whole artichoke.

Having survived the experience I can truly say, I DON'T GET IT.

What's the big deal?

Now, crawdads, that's another story.