Dead birds falling from sky still mystify experts

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
thousands-of-dead-birds-falling-from-the-sky-.html
L.A. Times:

Scientists still don’t know what’s causing flocks of birds to drop from the sky in the South, even as several hundred more fell dead onto a Louisiana highway.

The puzzling phenomenon started on New Year’s Eve when thousands of blackbirds were found dead in central Arkansas. Townsfolk spent their holiday weekend removing the remains of between 4,000 and 5,000 dead red-winged blackbirds. Scientists have descended on the town, trying to find a cause for the mass die-off.

In the latest incident early this week, some 500 birds were discovered scattered on a rural road in Louisiana's Pointe Coupee Parish, 300 miles south of the Arkansas site. Officials there are stumped as to what caused the birds to plunge to their death.

Wildlife officials in both states were sending carcasses to researchers at the National Wildlife Health Center in Madison, Wis., and the University of Georgia. No one is yet connecting the two mass deaths, but the Audubon Society is closely monitoring the situation.

“Mass bird die-offs can be caused by starvation, storms, disease, pesticides, collisions with manmade structures or human disturbance,” says Greg Butcher, Audubon’s director of bird conservation. “Scientists are still investigating what happened to the birds in Louisiana and Arkansas, but initial findings indicate that these are isolated incidents that were probably caused by disturbance and disorientation.”
________

Harris_DrSmith.jpg
"We're doomed! Doomed!"

Scientists remain baffled over the reason why thousands of birds fell from the sky in an apparent mass suicide....... And in other news, Rosie O'Donnell was seen hang-gilding naked over Arkansas.

Rosie O'Donnell was seen hang-gilding naked over Arkansas.

NCJim!

That 'splains everything. End of story... Case closed!

Ming_the_Merciless

Black birds are a monstrous pest. Especially the red wings one, like communists.

red-winged_blackbird_male.jpg

Being corvidae(crow family)they can easily talk, like people.

So, like humans, they had a clan war...and many losers, dead losers!

All the corpses(say it like Obama!)had severe body trauma.

dead-black-bird.jpg

Good riddance of bad rubbish, I say...

(If they never covered your car parked under their tree with crap,

you just wait, it's coming!)

That's my first post...how's my red bashing's going so far?

Scientists remain baffled over the reason why thousands of birds fell from the sky in an apparent mass suicide....... And in other news, Rosie O'Donnell was seen hang-gilding naked over Arkansas.

Sources say,"....there was this horrible whistling sound.......and then a lot of gagging.....and birds began to drop."

O'Donnell, and her "partner" [tethered to her in the mishap;] have been charged with cruelty to animals & harassment of a migrating species. They are expected to plead to a lesser charge of hunting with an illegal weapon & littering. Police officers and the public that witnessed the event are being offered free psychiatric counseling at the National Audubon Society Cafe & Wellness Center.

Fireworks is the current explanation of some experts.

Which explains why there have been millions of birds killed every July 4 and New Year since the invention of firecrackers.

Welcome Ming!

Very good first post on a "dead bird" thread...

Only red bashing improvement would be on a Rahm Emanuel "dead fish" thread. Timing is everything.

Welcome!

It's over. C'est tout. The writing is on the wall. Last one out, turn off fhe lights.

Sell your gold now, cash in your Reader's Digest collections and unused S & H green stamps while you can.

Google map of calamities.

It's all over the earth: Google earth of the calamities.

Just two things missing on the current map are

Sing a song of sixpence,

A pocket full of rye.

Four and twenty blackbirds,

Baked in a pie.

and the rats that followed that Pied Piper guy.

righteousmomma

Ditto, Valin.

Welcome Merciless Ming!

Hope you know you have signed on here with a bunch of good guys who show no mercy either -- least when it comes to spoofing and having fun.

Black birds are a monstrous pest. Especially the red wings one, like communists.

red-winged_blackbird_male.jpg

Being corvidae(crow family)they can easily talk, like people.

So, like humans, they had a clan war...and many losers, dead losers!

All the corpses(say it like Obama!)had severe body trauma.

dead-black-bird.jpg

Good riddance of bad rubbish, I say...

(If they never covered your car parked under their tree with crap,

you just wait, it's coming!)

Welcome Ming!!! And you are------Merciless :lol:

Officials say about 50 birds have been found dead on a street in Sweden.

Veterinarian Robert ter Horst says the cause of jackdaws' deaths was unclear but that fireworks were set off near the scene Tuesday night.

The birds were found dead on Wednesday.

Ter Horst says cold weather, difficulties finding food and possible shock from the fireworks could be responsible, leading to the stressed birds either dying from the stress or being run over by vehicles.